Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding battle

(12 Posts)
Lou573 Mon 08-May-17 17:21:41

Hi all, just wondering if anyone can offer any words of wisdom as I'm growing increasingly fed up of breastfeeding my boob obsessed 18 month old which I'm sad about. I generally try to only breastfeed morning and bedtime, and would be perfectly happy to continue if it didn't feel like my boobs were a battle ground. Partly it's that she constantly claws at me and pulls at my clothes - i walked across a car park the other day without realising she'd exposed my bra. blush I've already ruled out wearing my favorite wrap dress to a wedding next week as with the easy access she'd likely think she was at an all you can eat buffet in the church. The second difficulty is when she's latched on she doesn't stay still. She wriggles around, waves her feet in the air, twists her head and ends up hurting me. Is also weirdly fixated on pinching the other nipple. It's such a shame because I'd gladly continue if it didn't feel like a constant battle. She loves it, it's free and healthy for her, but may just have to cut her off. Anyone been through this??!

katiegg Mon 08-May-17 17:29:02

with the easy access she'd likely think she was at an all you can eat buffet

i'm sorry, i know it's not helpful but this made me laugh grin

no real advice i'm afraid, maybe it is time to stop? a shame for both of you though, especially if you have been enjoying it up until recently?

can you stop her feeding when she wriggles/ twists/ hurts you etc, tell her 'no' firmly and then continue? repeat until she gets the message?

ACatCalledFang Mon 08-May-17 17:32:33

Not gone through but going through and kind of relieved it's not just me! (Unless you actually are me and I'm so sleep deprived I've managed to change my user name and post on Mumsnet....)

Mine is 20 months old and is obsessed with nipple twiddling while feeding; it's getting really painful sometimes. His favourite position at the moment is being carried with one hand down my top. Just to check it's still there, you know?! So far, I haven't inadvertently flashed anyone but it's surely a matter of time.grin

I'd be quite happy to stop but it's still the best method to get him back to sleep at 0500 (yes, we've tried DP going in - doesn't work this week). We also have a house move and a lot of changes coming up for him in the next few months so have decided to stick with it and reassess closer to his birthday.

Will be very interested to hear from anyone who weaned a toddler like ours!

Lou573 Mon 08-May-17 17:42:29

I currently feed her with one hand over the other boob as I can't bear the twiddling! She gets so infuriated that I'm putting a stop to her favourite activity 😂

Thanks Katie, I do pull her off but probably need to be more consistent with it. Probably reaching a good time to stop to be honest, but she's so strong willed that I'd really hoped she'd self wean - she's not going to cooperate with this plan!

BusyBee2017 Mon 08-May-17 18:54:27

When she is not listening have you taken her off the boob and told her that she is being naughty. They do understand.

WheN DS1 but me whilst breastfeeding I took him off my breast and told him off and never gave him anymore milk.

It wasn't until half an hour later I gave him a feed and he never did that again.

My DS1 was 13 months at the time.

Maybe it will work or maybe it won't.. it's worth a shot.

Other option is giving her expressed milk in a cup.

If they don't work just give up breastfeeding

Lou573 Mon 08-May-17 19:40:01

Yes, do tell her off - have had to take a firm line with biting and she understood. I don't really have the time or inclination to express - she takes cows milk fine so would probably just stick to that to be honest.

shoofly Mon 08-May-17 19:46:39

DS2 was like that at about 18 months. He bit me so hard one night then laughed when I squealed. DH had to settle him to sleep that night because I was so sore and upset. He refused a feed the next morning, and DH sent me out the next evening, so he'd settle him again. He said it was a little more difficult the second evening but not awful. That was it, no more boob sad smile

BusyBee2017 Mon 08-May-17 19:46:41

Go for it wean her off and get your body back...and well done for breastfeeding for so long that's brilliant

Lou573 Mon 08-May-17 20:33:11

Thanks Busybee. Anyone have any tips for weaning a boob fanatic?!

newmumwithquestions Mon 08-May-17 20:40:10

His favourite position at the moment is being carried with one hand down my top. Just to check it's still there, you know?!
I had a conversation with my neighbour in this position. Just sort of forgot what DD was doing - nothing was showing but it must have been very obvious that DD was having a feel!
Sorry OP I have no advice...

BusyBee2017 Mon 08-May-17 21:06:43

Reduce one feed a week..the afternoon one is the easiest because they can have milk after lunch and desert so they will be so full. If DC still wants your book maybe go out on the car or pram to distract her.

For me I gave up the morning feed last because DS1 would drink full fat milk after his dinner and desert. He used to whine until he got milk so he would have it straight after and be sleepy.

The last feed I dropped was the morning feed and I think he preferred having full fat milk by then.

Some people leave the evening milk drink last... I would advice that you get your other half to put DC to sleep because if you do it you may have battle and upset toddler

Aquamarine1029 Mon 15-May-17 04:53:05

FFS, PLEASE do not tell a baby that they are "naughty." What horrible advice. You can clearly let them know you are displeased with what they are doing without labeling them as naughty. A baby isn't naughty, they are simply exploring their world. Good grief.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now