Talk

Advanced search

How can I get my 4 month old to accept a dummy?

(17 Posts)
sunshineon Thu 04-May-17 14:52:02

My DD is 4 months old. She is EBF. She is a lovely little girl who is happy most of the time unless she is tired or wants a feed. I haven't been particularly bothered about her having a dummy so far because I have been able to feed her if she gets upset but I'm going back to work in the next couple of months and she will be starting formula in the daytime when I go back and I'm going to carry on feeding her in the morning and evenings She started to accept a Nuk dummy and will take the Nuk bottles but she will now no longer take the Nuk dummy at all. I have tried her with it when she is totally calm and tried putting breastmilk on it to make it more appealing but still no luck. I have no intention of making it an all the time thing and maybe will just never accept one but she is a very sucky baby and sucks her fist and fingers for comfort all the time even right after she has had a feed and has had her fill of milk. I think it will make it a lot easier for my husband and parents in law to settle her for nap while I'm at work. Does anyone have any recommendations as to a type of dummy to try and your experiences of introducing one at a similar age?

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Thu 04-May-17 14:54:20

I bf my ds and he would only my have the mam dummies. .
They come in 0-2 size or 0-6 months then go bigger so you can stay with the same make right up to toddler size if you /baby wants!!

sunshineon Thu 04-May-17 15:21:00

Thankyou, what age was he when he started having them?

Neverknowing Thu 04-May-17 15:29:13

My baby wouldn't take any dummy at all but she would take my pinky finger if that helps?

RedDahlia Thu 04-May-17 15:29:41

My DD was a refuser up until last week. She's 5 months but I tried the 6months dummies and she prefers the bigger teet. She goes to sleep with it in now which is good as she fights her swaddle to suck on her fist. Also settles her when she's getting a bit flustered.

sunshineon Thu 04-May-17 16:06:46

Thankyou never knowing she's not really interested in the pinky but yes red dahlia sounds exactly like what my DD is now. She was exactly the same with her swaddle she kept waking up and crying so I had to change to a love to dream zip up because she kept fighting out of it to get her fist in her mouth. I'm glad for you that she will accept a dummy sometimes now it does seem to make things easier if they will have one sometimes, my nephew is 1 and just has his to occasionally get him to sleep and settle him if fussy not all the time and that's how I would like her to be!

sunshineon Thu 04-May-17 16:07:32

Also what brand of dummy do you use red dahlia?

FATEdestiny Thu 04-May-17 16:34:13

Cherry shaped dummy teats tend to be favoured by my breadtfeeders. They are bigger and more bulbous much like my norks than most newborn dummies.

Tommee Tippee Cherry Soothers

RedDahlia Thu 04-May-17 20:50:26

Tommie tippee is what we have. Agree with fate that cherry shape the best.

We have a woombie swaddle, I think it's bloody marvellous. She will soon be out of it and it's making me nervous lol.

Fate once gave me good advice about making a swaddle out of cot sheets. I've saved that thread and am going to make my own once age has outgrown the current one. I give it two weeks.

I should have said in my pp that DD is nearly 6 months.. I have tried many times to get her to have a dummy as she is more a restless and fidgety baby than a crier when tired, and I strongly suspect her being a little bit older has helped her accept it. The other thing that I found really helpful was something I read online that said instead of trying to just insert the dummy directly into the mouth put it to the side of the mouth instead as instinct will make them turn their head and take it more easily. This is something that DD has definitely responded to this time round!!

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Thu 04-May-17 20:52:51

I hate to say it, but I have a 4 yo ear old (bottle fed) and a 2 year old (breastfed) and they were both massive dummy refusers.

FizzyFeet Thu 04-May-17 20:56:15

Try aiming the dummy towards the roof of her mouth and gently stroking her cheek to stimulate the suck reflex.

anotherdayanothersquabble Thu 04-May-17 21:01:26

Any chance you would gently encourage her to find her thumb? DD was similar... found her thumb and then voluntarily at the age of three stopped by herself, no orthodontic issues....

CatsCantFlyFast Thu 04-May-17 21:05:14

Second the cheap cherry type dummies. My first would never take a dummy but I didn't try these. My second - I'm not fussed about her having a dummy so haven't really tried but when I offer one (of the many different types I bought for dd1) her preference is the cherry teat ones

sunshineon Fri 05-May-17 16:43:20

Day one, cherry soothers tried with some breastmilk on when she was happy and settled, she looked at me like I'd just put poo in her mouth... will try a mam one tomorrow!

comeagainforbigfudge Fri 05-May-17 16:59:08

I was going to suggest what fizzyfeet has said, but also tap tap tapping dummy when in mouth. That's what nurses in hospital did with dd (we had already given her the dummy but totally nabbed their tips grin)

We ff but my friend bf her child and managed get them to take dummy. It can be done, but might take a wee bit of time.

sunshineon Fri 05-May-17 17:35:47

It's annoying because she was accepting the Nuk dummy and then all of a sudden stopped taking it at all hmm she reacted worse to the cherry soother than she did to the Nuk!!

sunshineon Fri 12-May-17 15:30:06

She's accepted the mam dummy now after I persisted, Thanks for the suggestion!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now