Talk

Advanced search

Any experience of hip dysplasia?

(6 Posts)
CatsRidingRollercoasters Tue 02-May-17 22:11:22

I'm in a bit of a panic. Ds is almost 15 months and not walking. He is cruising though, and crawls very quickly.

Dd was walking at 12 months but I haven't been too worried as they are all so different.

The childminder asked today if I had noticed that ds doesn't like his left leg being pulled straight. Apparently she's noticed it while changing his nappy.

After his bath tonight I laid him on his changing and looked at his legs. I gently straightened out his right leg - he didn't react at all. I did the same with his left leg and he cried and immediately bent the knee again.

I'm really worried that there's something wrong and I feel terrible that I haven't noticed before. I've been googling and am wondering if he might have hip dysplasia. There's no clicky sound though.

Has anyone else experienced this?

CatsRidingRollercoasters Wed 03-May-17 08:09:27

Anyone?

WilliowGreen Wed 03-May-17 20:15:33

I had hip dysplaisia as a baby and my DD has it but she is only 3 weeks old. They normally screen for it at birth however in some people it is not possible to pick it up.
If it is spotted early on it is fixable for most people ( I have on going problems due to another joint condition that hip dysplaisia can be a part of). 15 months is still very young so the long term outcomes are likely to be good if he has it. I had a colleague who's daughter had it and she had it corrected as a baby by 8 she was very sporty and did a lot of dance.
I'm not saying it is hip dysplaisia but I would definitely get it checked out.

CatsRidingRollercoasters Wed 03-May-17 21:37:42

Thank you Williow! I took him to the GP today. He moved ds's hips in various ways and wasn't sure they were moving as freely as they should, so he's referred him for an ultrasound to rule out Perthes disease.

Hopefully it's nothing and if not, the prognosis looks not too bad. Thank you for your reply and for sharing your experiences.

divadee Sun 14-May-17 13:16:54

We have hip dysplasia here. She is now 15 weeks old and been in a pavlik harness since she was 2 weeks old.

Ours was found at 2 days old with the baby check. She had a clunky hip and were sent for an ultrasound at 2 weeks old. An hour later we were in a pavlik harness and beimg told the do' s and dont's.

At your child's age they won't have a pavlik harness they would more than likely have surgery and then a spica cast if diagnosed.

CheesePasta Mon 15-May-17 13:47:19

My DD is now nearly 4 years old but was going through treatment for DDH from 6 weeks until 2yo. She started in pavlik harness, went on to a sturdy plastic harness (cannot remember the name of this one) and then spica cast. If you do get this diagnosis, feel free to PM me, as I know it would've helped me to have someone to ask questions to. Also check out Steps, as they are a charity dealing with various things like DDH and other problems affecting lower limbs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now