Talk

Advanced search

Help needed

(6 Posts)
Vics100pink Sun 30-Apr-17 06:58:29

Hi my two day old won't settle in moses basket, I have resorted to a sleepyhead deluxe on the bed next to us in the middle and she will settle on this for more than 20 mins which is allowing us much needed sanity sleep, my question is this OK? And where do I put it during the day I have a travel cot I could put it in when she naps in the living room this be OK? Also using the aptimal starter formula how much should she be taking of this at a time and how often

ToesInWater Sun 30-Apr-17 07:13:18

You have a two day old baby, give yourself a break and do what YOU think is right for your family. DD was my third and the only place she would sleep was in our bed. She napped in our bed and co-slept with DH and I at night for a year, saved our sanity and we all got enough sleep. If you told me with either of my boys that I would ever co-sleep I would have laughed at you.

Vics100pink Sun 30-Apr-17 08:03:29

Thank you vote of confidence xxxx I like that and need it, how much formula should I be giving, had midwife at hospital made me feel so bad for not breastfeeding beat myself up about it

Nan0second Sun 30-Apr-17 08:11:28

Sleepyhead can go anywhere! On the floor if you have no pets. Travel cot would also be fine.
Formula wise. Just feed when she cries. Make bottles with 3oz in. If she drains it, make another oz and offer. when she reliably drains 3oz, make 4oz.
Don't force her to finish the bottle and follow her lead.
It's hard work but it will be worth it!

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sun 30-Apr-17 09:27:03

Agree entirely with previous posters. Just as a guid, and it is a guide, some babies will have more, some less, it's 2.5 floz of formula per pound of weight. So if she was born at 8lb she'll be needing 20 floz a day. It's very unlikely you'll get that into a 2 day old as their tummies are so tiny. It's a good rule of thumb though as she gets older.

If you have another adult around, get them to give her a bottle today, change her then take her out for a big long walk while you get some sleep. Just make sure they have an extra bottle and a change of nappy with them.

Congratulations and it does get easier thanks

Eeeeek2 Sun 30-Apr-17 21:53:21

Midwives are so on the breast is best road that they are actually damaging mothers who can't or choose not to breastfeed. Your dd will be just fine on formula.

Sleepyhead deluxe was the saviour for me too, just make sure your duvet can't get on top of her same with pillows - see if you can comfortably slide down the be a bit to ensure she stays clear.

I have the chicco lullago crib that it fits inside but I like to sleep with the duvet up around my nose so was worried I'd cover ds. It's also good because it still is big enough for him at almost 6 months so don't have to try and squeeze cot into our room

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now