Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Toddler fear of bath/ swimming

(7 Posts)
Perkyduck131 Sat 29-Apr-17 12:31:47

Seeking any advice or tips!

DD is 16 months and always loved the bath. Around two months ago we moved house, which coincided with DS' arrival. Since then she seems to have developed a fear of the bath. It started out as not liking her hair washed and now she will be hysterical for the duration of the bath! She went swimming today for the first time (foolish decision but we had already booked and paid for the sessions before she started hating baths) and apparently was crying the whole time.

I've tried buying new toys, being in the bath while she plays in the bathroom and waiting for her to join. Showers (which she doesn't seem to mind until it comes to hair washing)

Any advice/ insight would be greatly appreciated. Also unsure whether to persist with swimming lessons or leave it for this term. DH is taking her but feel bad that the only one on one time they spend together may end up traumatic for the both of them!

Thanks in advance.

Coconut0il Sat 29-Apr-17 13:10:54

In that situation I would leave the swimming for now. I'd also give her a break from the bath too. DS2 is 19 months and he went through a phase of hating the bath. I used a flannel to give him a wipe over and used the sink of he was really dirty, just sat him on the edge. This was easier for me as he doesn't really have much hair so a rub over with the flannel and it was clean. I left it about a month and tried him in the bath again, he still screamed but after another few weeks he was back to normal and he's enjoying them again now.

FizzyFeet Sat 29-Apr-17 13:17:20

My DD had a recent phase of hating the bath after she got shampoo in her eyes - she's the same age. We built it back up gradually with me in the bath with her, no hair washing. Then wetting her hair and get out. Then very slowly wetting it, have a break and a play, and shampoo it. Did daft things to help her tilt her head back when washing and rinsing hair. She's fine on her own again now, but we still take it slowly with hair washing.

Perkyduck131 Sat 29-Apr-17 13:27:25

Thanks both- good to know it's not just us! I would be happy to leave baths for a bit but her hair is quite long so she would need it washed at least once a week. Will have to do it this evening as it's full of chlorine (god help me!) but will give it a break after that. Any decent toys that you use?

I'm also tempted to leave the swimming but my husband thinks it's better to persist and that she'll get used to it eventually hmm

UppityHumpty Sat 29-Apr-17 13:30:01

Have you tried getting in the bath with her? She might want to be held. You can also prepare her for swimming by changing to swimwear and going into bath together.

KanyeWesticle Sat 29-Apr-17 13:30:48

I'd try and relax it until the summer. Maybe being hot and sticky will make a bath more tempting for her then. How does she feel about a paddling pool?

Perkyduck131 Sat 29-Apr-17 13:36:29

Thanks Uppity- that's good advice re getting in the bath with swimsuit!

Ah that's a good point Kanye- I spoke to nursery and she loves water play/ getting wet there and plays with the water tray in our garden. Would be really interesting to try the paddling pool once the weather improves. She loves watching other children so I'm hoping if they were playing together she might enjoy it.
Just not sure what's triggered this sudden fear!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now