Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Time saving tips for a mum of 2 who are under 19 months

(8 Posts)
JugglingMum17 Fri 28-Apr-17 20:55:53

Hi

Time is of the essence even more so when you have children as you are all well aware.

I was looking for some time saving tips with anything and everything really. Anybody care to share their time saving tips with raising children, organising, food prep, cooking, housework, shopping, general housework etc etc

smile

Scotinoz Fri 28-Apr-17 21:47:43

I have 2 small children, 2 and 3, but I've done these sorts of things since they were babies and it's helped keep the house/me quite organised:

Bulk cooking - I do specifically make casserole etc for the freezer, but if making risotto or something I'll
do extra and shove it in the freezer.

Meal planning - I do a weekly plan which means I don't have to fart around working out what to make for dinner, plus it means I have a shopping list.

Housework schedule - it's not formally written down, but bed linen on Mondays, bathrooms on Tuesday and Fridays etc. One specific task a day, then a whizz around I the evening to tidy toys etc.

One load of laundry (minimum 😐) per day - it keeps the basket down. Plus each evening I sort a load into the machine

A routine - breakfast at 8, lunch at 12, dinner at half 5, kids bed at 7, playgroup on Tuesdays and Thursdays...not rigid but it means everyone knows what's happening

A calendar - one with a column for everyone, writing stuff down really helps me know what's happening

I'm sure there's other stuff I do but that's the main stuff 😀

skyzumarubble Fri 28-Apr-17 21:48:51

I have twins. They're older now but when they were small

as soon as we came in from anywhere I restocked the nappy bag so it was always ready to go - no faffing about tying to get to a class or group for 10am.

Batch cook - dull but necessary or prep stuff for slow cooker the night before. Blitz kids with a hand blender before adding salt.

Don't bath them every night unless they're actually filthy.

JugglingMum17 Fri 28-Apr-17 23:54:34

Thank you. Those are very useful tips.

We do meal planning and tried to cook for three days meals lol but don't get very far at the moment.

I have made chicken dumpling casserole and managed to freeze two tubs (the clear small ones you get from takeaways). It's a start lol.

My mother in law and mum usually give me Indian food and if there is surplus I will freeze. So I have a batch of Indian food I think I just need to build up on the English dinners.

We tend to make food from scratch and have a back up of pizzas if we don't fancy cooking. Do you all cook from scratch too rather than convenience food

JugglingMum17 Fri 28-Apr-17 23:59:46

I do one zone a day a bit like you.

Mondays I will clean and tidy the kitchen, laundry and playroom. (Obviously kitchen gets done everyday but it's the stuff that don't get cleaned on a daily basis that I concentrate on).

Tuesday I will tidy, dust and clean the lounge, porch, cloakroom, hallway and WC. Sweeping and mopping.

Wednesday I will do laundry, wash, dry, iron if required, fold and put away.

Thursday I will concentrate on Bedrooms (3), bathroom and landing.

Friday vacuum & mop.

Saturday filing, sorting out baskets I dump things into and needs sorting in the garage, any odds and sods, any spot cleaning or windows.

Sunday - meal planning, meal prepping and shopping list.

Usually husband will do the shopping on a Monday or we occasionally do on a sat/sun

JugglingMum17 Sat 29-Apr-17 00:00:59

I have a routine too they are great
At least the kids know what's happening too lol

user1471495191 Sat 29-Apr-17 00:05:49

Routines, encouraging dc to be as independent as poss, freezing meat into portions along with any leftovers from evening meals, using a timer tray to feed the cat in the morning.

JugglingMum17 Sat 29-Apr-17 00:10:39

Thank you ... yes I am teaching eldest son who is 19months to do things. Bless him he is really good he even helps me with housework - he will put clothes in the washing basket (even the ones which don't need washing and I found a dirty nappy in there once hahaha) he also helped me load the washing machine or tumble dryer hehe. Might as well encourage it because when he is older he won't want to do it haha

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now