Talk

Advanced search

Difficulties with Teenage son

(4 Posts)
DebbieJC19 Fri 28-Apr-17 16:27:16

Very recently my 14 year old son behaviour has changed dramatically he has started to refuse to go school and when I ground him he leaves the house without my permission at the first opportunity. Until a few months ago he respected boundaries but now he doesn't care he just does what he wants and doesn't care about consequences I am struggling to know what to do and I am single parent with no support can anyone give me some advice?

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sat 29-Apr-17 17:15:15

Oh Debbie that sounds awful. Have you had a meeting with the school? Perhaps they can come up with a plan to help you resolve the issue?

I'd ask MNHQ to move your thread to the teens section too, you may get a few more replies thanks

Pitbull Sat 29-Apr-17 17:16:48

Withdraw food and lock the fridge grin

BackforGood Sat 29-Apr-17 17:47:18

Firstly, it is not unusual for young men to both start testing boundaries and also to struggle with getting up in the mornings once they hit puberty. Their hormones are all over the place, and testosterone is coming in in bucketfuls.
Conflict and 'imposing' punishments don't tend to work too well at this time of their lives.
I was never one for reading parenting guides when mine were little but found Get out of my Life really, really helpful. My ds also read it, and it helped us a lot.
It's worth knowing he is struggling to find his place in the world and how you can both try to understand each other a bit more and work together a bit more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now