Talk

Advanced search

How often do you mums get chance to really clean..

(14 Posts)
Motherbeforeanything Thu 27-Apr-17 09:00:44

Let me start by saying, I have Anxiety, depression, a chronic illness and 4 children. One of which is 6 months and doesn't sleep..

Safe to say I'm beyond exhausted..
My partner works full time so I'm pretty much on my own with house work..

How do you mums cope? Things seem to pile on top of me, I'm a clean person and I always bleach the sides before cooking..ect..
But the house sometimes just sneaks up on me and it seems like a never ending chore that I never have the energy or time for..

I suppose I'm just ranting and asking whether anyone one has any tricks to keep on top of things lol!

I'm the kind of person that is house proud and I won't allow visitors unless it's spotless haha! I think that's part of my anxiety though..

Having a bad day thanks for listening!!

clarabellski Thu 27-Apr-17 10:51:29

Hey
We do the bare minimum of cleaning and we only have 1 kid, not 4!
I do sometimes notice things (manky inside cupboards, dust along skirting, marks on inside windows) and want to do something about it, but I never do! I'd love to hire a business to come in and do a deep spring clean once a year, but DH is against it. He thinks we should do it ourselves, but we won't!!!!

Heirhelp Thu 27-Apr-17 14:29:39

I have one child and we have a cleaner. I say we because I have just returned to work part time and my husband works full time, that means he works 40 hours a week. You are working 168 hours a week. Your DH needs to do his fair share.

MrsPnewmum Fri 28-Apr-17 07:41:27

I am no where near as exhausted as you must be as I only have a 12 week old, but wanted to share some of the things I do:
I try not to think of it all at once. Focus on one room a day, Mondays is bedroom etc.
I see what I can get done in any spare 10 mins I have
Get a cleaning caddy with everything you need in it so you can just pick that up and go instead of looking for each thing separately. I got a cheap one from Amazon.
Prioritise the parts of your home you want to be tidy the most.
Could any of your children help out? For pocket money maybe?
Good luck. Xx

buckyou Fri 28-Apr-17 07:43:55

I have a cleaner! Feels a bit extravagant when I'm on mat leave but honestly it is so worth it.

Have a relatively large/old house which is scruffy from animals and I really struggle to cope with it on my own. If you can afford it, definitely worth considering.

WellErrr Fri 28-Apr-17 07:44:50

Your partner needs to do more flowers

TheInimitableMrsFanshawe Fri 28-Apr-17 07:49:17

Well I would stop bleaching the sides before cooking for a start, unless you have cats that walk on the surface or something? It's not necessary otherwise.

TupperwareTat Fri 28-Apr-17 07:52:32

I really think in terms of making jobs quicker & easier, you have to declutter first.

If you can all live on a minimum amount of clothes/shoes/toys then cleaning should be easier due to more space and less stuff to move/clean/sort.

AgentProvocateur Fri 28-Apr-17 07:54:03

I share the bare minimum with my partner, and we have a cleaner once a fortnight who does the bathroom and floors. I'm very much of the mindset though that life's too short to bleach worktops (or anything) and a bit of dirt is good for you.

unlimiteddilutingjuice Fri 28-Apr-17 07:54:35

My minimum programme is one sink of washing up, one load of laundry, put the bins out and quick tidy of kids rooms.
Some days I don't even manage that.
If I need to do more, I tend to get someone else to watch the kids. So mostly a catch up on the weekends. Tbf it is getting a bit better now the kids are 4 and 2. They can amuse themselves for short periods and can "help" with some stuff. Plus DH has responsibility for tidiness of the living room.
Truthfully, the place is still a pit most days grin
I found the flylady a help but even she assumes some available time to tidy in!

MyfatheristheKing Fri 28-Apr-17 07:56:02

My husband works more than full time but he still helps out. We each have certain jobs we like to do, I cook and he does the dishes. I'll wash and dry the clothes and he will put them away. We take turns to do the ironing and so on. I may be at home during the day but I'm not doing nothing all day. I have school and nursery runs, do things with dc3 when he finishes nursery, look after the dog, general running of home, cook dinner, ferry the kids to activities and on and on. So it's only fair that DH does some things. I think maybe your DH needs to do some things. When he has the kids when home from work you could do some things then?

Daytona79 Fri 28-Apr-17 08:04:14

Tidy Up a few times a day, proper downstairs hoover once kids in bed and clean up kitchen put away everything

Washing load every day, put away and iron ever couple days

Massive deep clean bathrooms etc once a week

That's what I do

I've a baby and a 2 year old

Twinnypops Fri 28-Apr-17 10:06:48

Stay at home parenting is a job (a bloody hard one too!) so there's no reason why all the housework should be down to you. We do the absolute bare minimum. Not great as I'm quite house proud, but with 8 month old twins it not a top priority any more!

HolditFinger Fri 28-Apr-17 10:11:55

I try and put everything away as soon as I'm finished with it, which helps tidiness levels. Aside from that, I try and do one or two jobs every day so it's reasonable. With a small baby, I let a lot go. If it didn't get done, there was always tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now