Talk

Advanced search

Baby with a funny shaped head?

(18 Posts)
funnyshapedhead Wed 26-Apr-17 23:22:13

Name changed in case the photo is outing!

My DD is 4 months old and I'm not sure if her head is a normal shape or not confused think I've started to obsess over it but I can't tell if I'm being a bit PFB or if I should take her to the gp! So any advice is welcome blush

31weeksgone Wed 26-Apr-17 23:23:23

Looks completely normal to me! grinsmile

WinkyisbackontheButterBeer Wed 26-Apr-17 23:23:51

Looks perfect to me. Which bit are you worried about?

lilydaisyrose Wed 26-Apr-17 23:26:51

My baby is 4m old & her head is similar although smaller & a little bit rounder. We spend a lot of time with small babies & your DD's head looks perfect - am struggling to see the issue?

funnyshapedhead Wed 26-Apr-17 23:30:20

Now I feel silly grinI always stare at her forehead thinking it's sticking out too far blushmay or may not have got the tape measure out of the sewing box to see if it's humongous too blush--poor DD--

31weeksgone Wed 26-Apr-17 23:32:14

Don't feel embarrassed, my PFB (and only) DD is now 18 months, and for the first few months I was obsessed that she had a weird shaped head due to ventouse delivery. Babies do have weird shaped heads because they lay on them all the time, my mum said to me when her hair grows it'll look more like a "normal" adult head as such, and it does grin

funnyshapedhead Wed 26-Apr-17 23:34:59

That's true! Unfortunately not for this baby as she doesn't let me bloody put her down but that's a different thread entirely grinI do feel a lot better now! So hard to tell if it's just FTM paranoia or some crazy exploding size brain blush

Fooshufflewickbannanapants Thu 27-Apr-17 22:53:48

My son has hydrocephalus and if it was anything like that there are lots of other symptoms ie crying in pain, projectile vomiting, lethargy then down cast eyes. Her head looks lovely but if you are worried take her to gp and ask them to measure it (it's not about how big her head is more of a case of how quickly it grows iyswim)

Fooshufflewickbannanapants Thu 27-Apr-17 22:54:54

Oh and obviously a bulging fontanelle would be first .

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Thu 27-Apr-17 22:56:51

DD was like this (forehead was bigger though). She's evened out now.

The back of her head is nice and round. If it was on the flat side, then that might be a bit worrying, but she looks perfectly normal

BertieBotts Thu 27-Apr-17 22:58:40

Looks totally normal, although yes some babies have flatter foreheads. I think their heads bulge a bit in ways we don't notice in adults because their faces are still all squished up! smile I don't think it's anything to do with the flat head syndrome thing. Lots of babies look like this, I expect it will stretch out as she grows. I think that it's actually just the shape of her face, her nose is quite adorably perky!

And yes it will look very different once her hair is longer.

BertieBotts Thu 27-Apr-17 23:04:33

I've just gone and looked at old pictures out of curiosity and one of the babies in my NCT group had a forehead like this, he is 8 now and looks totally normal but does have quite a heart shaped face. I won't post pics for obvious reasons! I think it's a very pretty face especially on a girl.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Thu 27-Apr-17 23:06:59

It can be to do with plagiocephaly, BB. Not in this case though.
DS had an extremely flat head, it was so extreme that one side of his forehead was significantly bulging out by 2 months.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Thu 27-Apr-17 23:07:52

OP - this isn't anything like that, though.

BertieBotts Thu 27-Apr-17 23:13:06

No, I know - I was saying OP's picture doesn't look like it, sorry if it wasn't clear smile

funnyshapedhead Thu 27-Apr-17 23:53:29

Thankyou all so much! I'll try and stop worrying about it grinyes luckily (sort of hmm) it's not very flat at the back as she spends approximately 20 minutes a day on her back or that would be another worry I'm sure! Bloody kids making us worry grin

ImperialBlether Thu 27-Apr-17 23:57:49

She's gorgeous and perfectly normal, too. Once she has more hair you won't notice the shape of her head (though she has a lot more than my daughter at that age!)

RedDahlia Fri 28-Apr-17 08:52:39

Hi OP.

I have a slightly different view to PP.

I have a baby who was born with virtually no fontanelle and consequently she was xrayed at 3 weeks and one of her sutures in her skull (from fontanelle) to nose was fused when it should have been open. We were referred to the craniofacial team at alderhey. They said to us that her head shape could develop strangely after a few months as the brain is growing and it could could put pressure on her forehead. So far it's all looking ok at nearly 6 months but we go back in a few months.

From the look of that picture I would put your mind at rest and take her to the gp/pead just to be sure. I can take pics of my DD where her forehead looks like your DC yet at other angles her head looks completely in proportion.

I hope that I haven't worried you, and the chances are your DC is absolutely fine but to be safe (and stop your worrying) I would go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now