Talk

Advanced search

11mnth old Sleep pattern

(15 Posts)
Camnico Tue 25-Apr-17 19:07:40

Hi Everyone

DS is 11 months old almost and used to be a great sleeper, however he keeps wakening up at 2ish and then 5ish before eventually getting up at 8am. He cries and cries until we give him a bottle (both times) I'm shattered and I've tried everything!

He doesn't get to sleep in the 'danger zone' he has 1 nap a day for 30-45 mins from 12:30. He won't go to sleep any later than 9/9:30 and we give him a bottle at bedtime. He gets supper before bed as suggested by HV. I am pregnant and really hope he's sleeping through the night when DC2 arrives!

Any tips before I die of tiredness lol?

Oh also he sleeps in his own cot in a sleeping bag and the house is always a nice temperature so I don't feel it's anything to do with him possibly being too hot/cold

Camnico Tue 25-Apr-17 19:08:09

By sleeping bag I mean grobag

ODog Tue 25-Apr-17 19:19:44

I have an 11mo and the naps don't seem like enough to me. My 11mo has 2 naps of 60-90mins each. One at around 9am and another at around 1pm. I remember my DC1 was also the same until he dropped to one nap at around 18mo and even then it was 2+hrs. He's only just stopped napping that much and he's almost 3 now. Better day sleep may well improve night sleep.

In terms of nights/feeds. It sound pretty normal to me. Sorry if that's not what you want to hear. My 11mo wakes for 1-2 feeds per night and currently has an awake time of around 45mins after one of the feeds before she settles back down. My toddler doesn't sleep through the night most nights. He doesn't have milk but will need reassurance/cuddles/come in our bed at least once.

It might be easier to accept that this may not happen before your new baby arrives and find methods to cope. E.g. Going to bed early, napping when your partner is around.

Camnico Tue 25-Apr-17 19:26:44

Tell me about it ODog, my friend has a 1 yo DS and he sleeps through the night from 7-8 and also naps for 2 hrs during the day.

Yeah I see what you're saying, my HV just keeps saying "oh he should be sleeping through the night" and I'm thinking what the hell am I doing wrong lol. Thankfully he doesn't stay awake after his bottle like your DC (you must be shattered too) I think I'm just feeling it more with being pregnant. The second time isn't really all that fun lol.

Thanks for posting x

ODog Tue 25-Apr-17 19:44:51

It's really not that normal for babies to sleep through at this age. Ignore your HV. Your DC is totally normal. Exhausting but normal.

I would work on increasing daytime sleep though.

Camnico Tue 25-Apr-17 19:53:06

Yeah you're right I should at least give it a try. I think he potentially would sleep twice in the morning like your DC does

pikapoo Tue 25-Apr-17 20:43:47

I second the point about napping - my DS (almost 1 year old) also does similar naps to what ODog described.

However I do think many babies do sleep through at this age. Maybe not the vast majority, but certainly it's not a small minority.

pikapoo Tue 25-Apr-17 20:44:32

Also meant to add it's one nap in AM and another in PM, not both in the morning.

Camnico Tue 25-Apr-17 20:55:08

Well he's asleep just now, gave him porridge and fruit then a bottle he's been sleeeping since 20:30 which is slightly earlier than normal. I'm desperate for a solid sleep lol. Thanks ladies

Anditstartsagain Tue 25-Apr-17 22:16:22

Can he walk or crawl? My older ds always went through patches of bad sleep before he learned something new the worst being when he was figuring out how to walk. He was very frustrated in the day with it I think maybe he was dreaming about it, I was told at the time milestones can distrupt sleep.

Camnico Tue 25-Apr-17 22:38:25

That's very interesting! He can't walk (without holding something) and he too gets frustrated at that but he can crawl. Maybe once he starts walking he will sleep more sound at night.

Still not a peep from him and I've been trying to sleep but failing lol

Caterina99 Wed 26-Apr-17 19:33:04

At 11 months my DS was sleeping for 2 naps about 1.5 hours each and then about 11/12 hours overnight. And that was fairly similar to most of his baby friends.

I'd try and work on the naps and that might help his night sleep. We did the 2 3 4 schedule, but he also dropped to one nap about 12 months which was about 2-3 hours around midday.

Caterina99 Wed 26-Apr-17 19:34:05

And yes also agree big milestones like walking etc definitely disrupt their sleep. So excited to practice the new skill that they do it at 2am!

Heirhelp Wed 26-Apr-17 19:35:47

My 11 1/2 month who is walking regularly wakes up for milk because she is hungry. Babies can't sleep when they are hungry and 11 months is still very little so I am afraid we are just going to have to deal with feeding them during the night until they nolonger need it.

Camnico Thu 27-Apr-17 07:51:19

Hey everyone, thanks for your messages. DS slept from 8:30 until 7am this morning. no idea why lol, don't know what I done differently

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now