Talk

Advanced search

When to stop night nappies?!

(18 Posts)
Badgoushk Tue 25-Apr-17 08:39:51

My 3.5 year old has been potty trained for a year but still wears a pull up at night. The past 3 nights it has been dry in the morning.

How long should I expect a dry pull up for before stopping them? A month?

How old was your child when he/she was dry at night? Am I thinking too soon?

LovingLola Tue 25-Apr-17 08:40:52

Once mine were dry at night for about 4 nights in a row the nappies came off. That coincided with being toilet trained during the day too.

Starryeyes28 Tue 25-Apr-17 09:25:10

When he was three and a bit my sons night time pull up was never dry but I found out his dad hadn't been putting them on him for weeks (he stays at his once a week) and he hadn't had an accident at all during the night. So I braved it and actually he's never had to wear one since. Did have spare blankets and a waterproof protector thing on his mattress in case but never actually needed it. So it might be worth trying now.

Badgoushk Tue 25-Apr-17 13:57:56

Thanks everyone!

OlennasWimple Tue 25-Apr-17 13:59:07

After you have bought a mattress protector!

Ikea are the best I've found (properly waterproof, but with a cotton top so they aren't lying on rustling plastic)

Rinceoir Tue 25-Apr-17 14:01:05

My DD was dry day and night within a few days, but we were visiting family when first trained so left nappies on at night for a few weeks. Until one night she refused to wear it and that was it.

RedStripeIassie Tue 25-Apr-17 14:01:23

My dd will be 4 in the summer and I can't imagine her going dry any time soon. If she was starting to be dry most mornings like yours I'd get a mattteess protected and go for broke. Good luck

d270r0 Tue 25-Apr-17 14:06:06

I'd keep the pull ups for a few more days yet, then you could trial it. But be prepared to go back to them if its not working out, particularly if they are ill. Also if they wake in the night they will need to go to the toilet.

My 3 year old has been out of them at night since 2 and a half, if he needs a wee in the night he gets up and wanders out his room to the potty. We also wake him to put him on the potty when we go to bed, but he rarely has accidents.

On the other hand, my nearly 6 year old is still in nappies at nighttime, and has never had a dry nappy overnight, even though he goes to the toilet when we go to bed too. It normally leaks out his nappy and I often have to wash his bed once or even twice a night.

Bug28 Tue 25-Apr-17 14:06:43

My DD was dry at night as soon as she was dry in the day at around 2.5 and has never had an accident.

My DS was dry in the day at 2.5 but is still not dry consistently at night and he is now 4. He often is dry over night, but not reliably.

neversleepagain Tue 25-Apr-17 20:09:43

My twin dd's potty trained at 2.8.

Twin 1 was dry at night at 3.5 and her sister (now 4.6) is still in a pull up. I have noticed it has been dry for a couple of weeks now so planning on giving no night pull up a go next month.

Badgoushk Wed 26-Apr-17 18:07:47

Pull up was wet last night (day 4)! So I think we'll be waiting for a bit longer. Thanks for your advice.

Wolfiefan Wed 26-Apr-17 18:09:31

Dryness at night is due to the production of a specific hormone. You can't rush it I am afraid.

Sauvignonblanket Wed 26-Apr-17 19:57:16

We did it the other way round when we noticed that our 3.5yo was asking to wee in her nappy before bed and had a massive nappy by morning even though she was fine in the day.

We explained what was happening, then ditched the nappies and pull ups completely so she realised she didn't have the option of weeing away from the toilet.

For the first week or so we then took her for a wee at 10pm ish without her waking up (but stopped once she was mumbling in her sleep she didn't want to). There were odd nights of accidents, mostly the first wee of the day taking her by surprise but she was totally fine within a fortnight.

It might be coincidence timing-wise with regard to the hormones and I think the correct advice is to make sure they're properly awake at 10pm but we didn't bother - overall it was easier than I expected.

When you do go for it, layer up the bed to start with: Ikea waterproof mattress protector, then disposable pad, then bed sheet, then another disposable pad and another bed sheet. It makes sorting out middle of the night accidents much less hassle. Good luck!

thepatchworkcat Fri 28-Apr-17 08:40:12

My DS is 4 yrs 4 months and still in pull ups at night. He drinks a lot and I can't see him being dry for a while yet! He was pretty late to toilet train in the daytime though, he was 3 before he'd even consider it and it took a few months. Still an occasional accident now!

RedStripeIassie Fri 28-Apr-17 08:58:09

My dd still can't go to sleep without a bottle blush of milk and me cuddlig her till she's asleep. I think this is going to be a verryyy long process!

MrsNuckyThompson Fri 28-Apr-17 09:20:17

My DS did exactly what you're describing. A few dry nights, a random wet one and a few more dry. We were expecting DC2 so wanted to get on with losing the nappies so spoke to him about taking them away, were a bit more careful about drinks in the evening and then for the first few weeks DH would lift DS before we went to bed and take him for a sleepy wee. All fine and only a handful of accidents. He's now 4.1.

Mummyme87 Fri 28-Apr-17 22:18:34

DS potty trained when he was 2yr 6m during the day and through the night he was about 2yr 8m. He went from filling his nappy completely at night to being dry for a week so went for it. We have had a few accidents at night but not for a while now

teenmumandsowhat Sat 29-Apr-17 17:18:37

My daughter is 4, and has been dry during the day for about a year, but is not dry at night yet, I'm not worried because she's a deep sleeper. And I know that the ability is all down to a certain hormone being produced.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now