Talk

Advanced search

22 month gone extremely fussy...

(8 Posts)
Tinks15 Mon 24-Apr-17 19:46:57

Is anyone else's toddler going or gone through this? My DD has decided she no longer likes her dinners. I've tried all her 'favourites', putting only a little bit on her plate, spoon feeding her - she will either only eat a few mouthfuls or she'll just push it away. sad.
I don't really let her snack, so i try & build her appetite up but if i do decide to give her one shes even pushing that away occassionally.
She's been behaving like this for 2 or so weeks now - just getting worried that she will go hungry & isn't getting the nutrition she needs.
She is a slim little thing as it is. Any ideas? Or have I just got to ride this out?

Mooloolabasmummy Tue 25-Apr-17 07:04:30

Bumping for you as my 22 month old is the same! I'm trying to give dinner (I use the term loosely!) at lunch and then she has a sandwich at dinner time, seems to be slightly better! But only slightly! So frustrating isn't it!

Shantotto Tue 25-Apr-17 08:19:04

Argh I just lost my huge post! My 21 month old DS has gone from eating absolutely anything to pretty much just bread, cherry tomatoes, peas and sweet corn. I used to be such a smug 'oh he just eats what we eat' type until this started. He'd devour all veg. it was great!

It seemed to start last year when he got a cold, he's had a constant string of colds ever since! I worry giving the few things he will eat will just make him fussier or it last longer, I want him to eat a 'normal' meal - pasta or rice or cottage pie or even a baked potato!

Last week DP was off so was home for dinner so I made us all the meals he used to eat with us hoping he'd copy but he wouldn't even pick anything up! It's really annoying.

Although actually writIng this has made me remember some stuff I haven't tried him with for a while. He will sometimes eat sweet potato fritters, sweet corn and tuna fritters and wee drop scone pancake type things that I smuggle ham and spinach into.

No real help just some understanding and sympathy from me.

MrsGB2225 Tue 25-Apr-17 08:22:41

Mine went like this. As a baby he ate EVERYTHING and as a toddler we are down to a few meals he will eat. At the moment I give him something I know he will eat and try giving him something else as well for him to try. I'm hoping it's going to pass!

Semaphorically Tue 25-Apr-17 08:25:16

DD used to eat anything. Then she discovered food opinions! Now she has an extremely limited diet at 3.5. We just keep trying but are very conscious not to make food a battleground. I'm sure she will grow out of it.

We've found that what she likes and what she says she likes are different. We've also found that she won't starve herself, so as long as we keep providing nutritious meals she'll surprise us from time to time and scoff the lot.

Good luck, it's a tough stage!

Tinks15 Tue 25-Apr-17 22:24:28

Another frustrating day here. Thanks all glad its not just my DD- I'm hoping & praying it's just a phase & it's not a long term thing sad.

Caterina99 Wed 26-Apr-17 19:36:47

Yes! DS is 22 months and it's so frustrating. He used to eat anything and now he's so fussy. But then he'll eat it the next day, but now not what he happily ate yesterday...

MumOnAMission22 Wed 26-Apr-17 19:45:08

I found when my toddler was this age that I literally just had to give her what she wanted, at this age they are just trying to figure out what they like and what they don't like. Don't force them to eat things, maybe just leave food in front of them and encourage them to eat it. Try putting smiley faces on the food or doing train or aeroplane sounds. Its tough but eventually they will grow out of it. Just keep going !!!!!!!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now