Talk

Advanced search

dummies and nap times

(4 Posts)
anotherBadAvatar Mon 24-Apr-17 14:46:41

DD is 2.5 and we've decided that it's time to ditch the dummy based on the fact that DD2 is due soon.

We have chosen cold-turkey method, but we are currently 10days in and not progressing very far.

She is taking upwards of an hour (sometimes much much more!) to settle at bedtime, then waking up at least 2/3 times after midnight, crying and asking for dummy. At the worst, she is awake solidly for 2-3hrs and is shattered in the day.

What's new is that daytime naps weren't too much of a struggle, but the last 3 days, she has refused to nap at all. She clearly still needs to sleep as she becomes a terror at bed and bathtime (hitting/screaming/biting etc) and I think the over tiredness is making her night time sleep worse.

Any advice from anyone in the same/similar situation? I refuse to go back to the dummy now that we are 10days in to this mess, plus dentist said it needed to go!

Anditstartsagain Mon 24-Apr-17 15:14:30

Honestly I would give up for now she's not ready to give it up by the sound of it. Keep it for sleeping only then once she gives up her naps it will only be bed time. If you plan to give dd2 a dummy it could end up being a problem giving the baby a dummy she wants.

If you do feel you want to keep going sticker charts praise and stick to your guns. I had to have ds1 give up his bottle at 2 (his only comforter) cold turkey because he wasn't eating well we took a trip to the bear factory for a special bear to replace the bottle. It worked but i think he was emotionally ready.

hellomarshmallow Mon 24-Apr-17 15:21:58

I don't think it's a great time to start if a new baby is on the way soon. Maybe leave it 6 months? There's no harm just having it for naps and bedtime.

Dangermouse559 Mon 24-Apr-17 18:34:54

Personally I would back off on dummy removal, and let her do it at her own pace. It sounds like she isn't ready yet, and you need sleep while you can get it. A new baby arriving is a stressful time so I think you should wait till she is a little older, and is on board with the process. Don't push her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now