Talk

Advanced search

If you love where you live..

(6 Posts)
justonesherryformedicinalpurpo Mon 24-Apr-17 08:51:31

Where do you live?!

Posting here for traffic and also because I have small children and where we move depends largely on them.

I would like to continue being a SAHM for a couple more years but ideally we don't want to wait that long until we move so that means getting a mortgage based on DPs wages.

We have money for a deposit but on DPs wages alone can only really afford a 180k home max and this way we can still live comfortably. We live in Kent, not the most amazing part of Kent however but as we are close to London it will be a long time until we can buy a place here and tbh we aren't keen to purchase here anyway.

We want to live somewhere village-y ideally but just a nice family area, and somewhere that doesn't cost loads! Don't we all?!

Of course it depends on work but I would love it if you could share where you live if it fits our budget etc. and that way I have a few locations to look into.

DP suggested Lincoln yesterday although I haven't properly looked into yet.

I have seen similar posts about this but they date a good few years back!

Thank you!

justonesherryformedicinalpurpo Mon 24-Apr-17 16:13:13

Anyone?!

Iamastonished Mon 24-Apr-17 16:33:58

A village in South Yorkshire within commuting distance of Sheffield, Leeds, Wakefield and Barnsley. Rail and bus links with local towns. One pub, one shop. Large town 5 miles away. Outstanding primary schools good secondary schools, outstanding 6th form provision. Low crime rate. Equidistant timewise between 3 airports (within an hour).

More importantly affordable housing. Average detached house prices in South Yorkshire are just under £260k. The detached 4 bed house with double garage and stunning views opposite us sold for £300k last year.

m0therofdragons Mon 24-Apr-17 16:43:13

South Somerset is lovely but affordable. We are an hour from Exeter and Bath / Bristol, 45 mins to the stunning Lyme Regis (Dorset coast line) without the cost of Dorset properties. 180k would get you a 3 bed here with country parks / fields close by, and we can get to London in 2.5 hours (not commutable can easily do a day trip with the kids. I'm from Kent and would never move back. Happy house hunting op (in fact mine will be going on the market soon for £195k grin)

Iamastonished Mon 24-Apr-17 16:46:41

I'm from South London and would never move back.

justonesherryformedicinalpurpo Mon 24-Apr-17 18:53:55

Thanks lama and mod definitely going to look into those!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now