Talk

Advanced search

Baby food stains on clothes

(22 Posts)
Georgiemai7 Sun 23-Apr-17 19:10:19

Hello,
I've recently started giving my 5 month old baby food, her clothes and bibs are getting ruined and washing on my usual cycle doesn't seam to help.

Does anyone know any good methods of getting rid of stains or should I just bin them all? sad

Also would a higher temp wash help? I usually wash at 30 degrees.

Bellabooboo Sun 23-Apr-17 19:17:19

I use bicarbonate of soda. Scrub it on with water leave and then bung in washing machine

DesignedForLife Sun 23-Apr-17 19:20:46

It depends on the food. There's lots of tricks for lots of different stains. Most stuff comes out if you run it under the hot tap straight away, and/or soak in vanish or napisan. Some stuff comes out with vinegar or various other stuff - google search the stain before you wash it. I've never found anything that can get banana out though, and once a garment has been washed and let dry the stain will set and it's very hard to get out.

Have you tried a sleeved bib though? The Ikea and Aldi ones are very good as not too rigid.

Orangedaisy Sun 23-Apr-17 19:21:02

Strip her down to her nappy to eat. Bingo, no extra washing.

Timetogrowup2016 Sun 23-Apr-17 19:24:52

Yes anything that can stain I have 14 month old in just a nappy

Georgiemai7 Sun 23-Apr-17 19:36:58

Stupid of me not to strip her down really!

I was so nervous about starting her on food that I didn't think about stains!

I'll try some of the ideas out, most of it has been in the wash a few times now so not holding much hope sad

On the bright side, she's almost grown out of 3-6 month clothes so it's time to buy more! smile

Anditstartsagain Sun 23-Apr-17 19:42:08

Long sleeve plastic bibs are amazing. They can be baby wiped before being put back in the bag if out and washed in the sink.

primaryboodle Sun 23-Apr-17 19:47:01

Long sleeved bib absolutely necessary but vanish stain stick is the only thing that 100% gets everything out - looks like a bar of soap and is about £3 but worth its weight in diamonds!

bastedyoungturkey Sun 23-Apr-17 19:49:40

Most natural stains (by that I mean food/poo etc and not paint) will come out of you let the sun bleach them, so I used to lie the item of clothing on the windowsill in the room that was getting the most direct sunlight and voila! Stain gone.

Nicpem1982 Sun 23-Apr-17 19:51:04

Vanish soak for 24 hrs plus worked here the difficult ones went to mils and she sorted them

dementedpixie Sun 23-Apr-17 19:52:40

I rub washing up liquid and water into the stain before washing with bio powder.

MothButterfly Sun 23-Apr-17 19:54:10

sunlight works wonders, couple of hours on sunny day gets most things out.

doreme Sun 23-Apr-17 19:54:50

Sunshine! Lie the clothes flat in the sun and most stains will bleach out. This does work.

elQuintoConyo Sun 23-Apr-17 19:56:10

Those Ikea plastic coverall bibs are the mutt's nuts! They can go to town eating and smeering with wild abandon and it doesn't matter.

When they are olde and painting, Ikea do bigger sizes. Love Ikea.

NuclearMumb Sun 23-Apr-17 20:13:38

My most effective washing aid was a bucket with lid, and Napisan. Anything manky would go in the bucket to soak until I had enough for a load of washing, and it meant stains wouldn't dry on. Although anything with pumpkin was a lost cause.

Gunpowder Sun 23-Apr-17 20:18:10

Yes to napisan for anything white/pale and then hang in the sunshine to dry.

Ariel bio shifts stains much better than non bio for me so I use that for stained stuff and then rewash if it's for DD2 (sensitive skin)

Georgiemai7 Sun 23-Apr-17 20:25:08

I've never heard of napisan? Is it in normal supermarkets?
I have never seen vanish stain stick either so will look out for both tomorrow as I'm doing to food shop!
What temperature do you wash on? Is 30 to cold?

Thanks everyone!

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Sun 23-Apr-17 20:25:47

Another vote for Vanish and dry outside, also a pvc shower curtain under their high chair if you have carpeted flooring - just pick up the four corners afterwards and rinse in the bath - done and will be dry for the next meal.

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Sun 23-Apr-17 20:28:13

I soak the worst stuff in the sink in hot water with Vanish then chuck into a normal wash in the washing machine or you can apply straight onto the stain and put in the wash - although I've not tried that.

Hidingtonothing Sun 23-Apr-17 20:31:03

Another vote for sunlight, DD got tomato pasta sauce all over her sleeve yesterday and I've had her top, which was still sporting an orange stain when I took it out of the washer, out on the line this afternoon and it's pretty much gone.

NotSureYet Mon 24-Apr-17 10:20:19

I second pretty much everyone else's comments. Rinse under a hot tap straight away and give it a little rub with washing up liquid (works wonders on poo stains especially), then soak in a very, very hot vanish and water solution for 24 hours (I have a special bowl just for this, because I'm sad like that), if it's a really stubborn stain I may freshen the solution and pour in fresh steaming hot water and more vanish powder. Then I pop it in my normal wash cycle and if it hasn't come out completely I hang it out to dry in the sun. The sun works wonders. If you're determined to get the stain out then don't tumble dry it until it's definitely gone. Tumble drying seems to set the stain in forever.

DesignedForLife Mon 24-Apr-17 12:14:44

Yes you can get napisan in most supermarkets. Some keep it with the baby stuff - usually near sterilising fluids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now