Talk

Advanced search

7 mo never had a bottle. How do I do it?

(8 Posts)
Needmyrootsdoing Sun 23-Apr-17 11:12:28

Hi all,
My daughter has been EBF, she is nearly 7 months now and I'm going back to work in about 7 weeks. She'll be with a childminder whilst I'm at work and I'm a bit unsure about how to give her milk when she's with the childminder. Should I just express my milk and get her onto a bottle before I go back to work (if so, which one? Any recommendations?) or should I give her a bit more time to get used to a sippy cup and she can have her milk from that? (She is just starting to use one to drink water and can manage a little bit but it mostly goes everywhere!)
Any advice from people who have been through similar would be great!
(And yes, this does mean that I haven't had any more than about an hour away from my baby in 7 months!! In need of a night out is an understatement!) xx

EverbodyTalkAboutPopMusic Sun 23-Apr-17 11:35:17

Have you tried her with a no spill cup? I'd be reluctant to try to introduce bottles at 7 months but it can be done. Have you got someone to leave her with for a couple of hours to see how they get on?

TheGoodEnoughWife Sun 23-Apr-17 11:37:40

My ds was only breast fed till a similar age and wouldn't take a bottle. I would also suggest going straight to cup.

Aquamarine1029 Mon 24-Apr-17 20:30:38

Both of my children went from breastfeeding to using a cup. They never used a bottle. At seven months, introducing a bottle is totally unnecessary.

FrancesHouseman Mon 24-Apr-17 20:44:58

People will say go straight to a cup but if you actually want her to get some milk inside her then a bottle is more likely to do it. My bottle refuser finally accepted NUK bottles with a latex teat (not silicone) but be prepared the try out a few different brands. If the worst comes to the worst and she wont take milk from anything but your breast, try not to worry, I know of plenty of babies who only have milk outside of nursery hours at home.

FatLittleWombat Mon 24-Apr-17 20:50:26

DS2 is a bottle refuser and drinks formula from a sippy cup and a doidy cup. I gave up trying with a bottle. He drinks a decent amount from the cups, about the same as he drinks from the breast judging from how long he then lasts until his next meal.

yikesanotherbooboo Mon 24-Apr-17 22:17:29

Cup, ... no need for messing about with bottles and over the next few weeks she will gradually be getting more calories from food. You can BF morning and evening ...it will work out ... they get the hang of it

Writerwannabe83 Mon 24-Apr-17 22:18:41

My EBF son didn't take a bottle until he was 9 months old despite me and DH having been trying for months. When he did decide to attempt a few sucks he probably had about an ounce of my EBM and then refused again. We then just bypassed the bottle and gave him my milk via soppy cup when I was at work. I've no idea why we persevered with bottles really when we knew from 6 months old he would drink happily from a sippy cup.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now