Beach party for 4th birthday - good idea or worst idea ever?

(37 Posts)
SweetDee33 Wed 19-Apr-17 21:48:31

Is a beach party acceptable for my dd1's 4th birthday this summer? She wants a big party with her nursery friends, but I have am nervous and stressed at the thought of having to host a more traditional party in a hall and entertain lots of children, or even worse, have no one turn up. We rent a beach hut on a nice easily accessible beach, was thinking of perhaps inviting family and close nursery friends, providing food, drinks and cake, and letting the children play on the beach rather than having party games. What do people think, does this sound like an OK idea? I'm obviously stuffed if it rains...I know I'd be better to book a hall and bouncy castle etc but I just can't quite bring myself to!

SweetDee33 Thu 20-Apr-17 09:09:38

Bump

HemlockStarglimmer Thu 20-Apr-17 09:13:55

Sounds great. I'd do it. And have done it. Even without a beach hut.

usernumbernine Thu 20-Apr-17 09:14:58

What if it pisses with rain?

How are you going to stop the kids running off?

How are you going to watch them at the water?

usernumbernine Thu 20-Apr-17 09:17:00

How many kids?

what about sand in eyes, sand in sandwiches, throwing sand? And basically. Sand. Everywhere.

What if it's freezing not even raining? What about other people on the beach if it's roasting and the beach is packed!?

Fma14 Thu 20-Apr-17 09:18:34

Do it smile we had a forest party for a 3 year old, I told people to bring waterproofs if it rained!

UrsulaPandress Thu 20-Apr-17 09:18:49

Hell no.

Unless there is an accompanying parent with each child.

I always said if Ds has a summer birthday I'd do a picnic in the park so I'd be up for it!

leccybill Thu 20-Apr-17 09:23:31

Just plan for it to be pouring down and blowing a gale, and anything else is a bonus.

usernumbernine Thu 20-Apr-17 09:23:48

Also. The kids are 4?

Letting them free range play on the beach with no structured party games is a recipe for one child being left out, Johnny and Simon deciding to kick seven bells out of each other and Araminta and Susan pulling a doll to shreds.

Also. What about dog poo?

usernumbernine Thu 20-Apr-17 09:24:23

And spades. You know they'll hit each other with them. Guaranteed.

usernumbernine Thu 20-Apr-17 09:24:43

😀 have done similar. Can you tell?

JigglyTuff Thu 20-Apr-17 09:30:46

I know lots of people who have done it and it's really fun. Obviously parents would stay so is there a cafe where they could buy food if they want? Loos?

If it's a nice day you're going to have to get there early to stake out your area though

2014newme Thu 20-Apr-17 09:32:05

Yes fine
You need a wet weather plan
Presumably all parent will need to stay

apotheke Thu 20-Apr-17 09:38:27

Lovely as this might sound, my heart would sink at this invitation for my 4yo unless I was able to leave her toddler sibling elsewhere. At that age, although they should be old enough to stay back from water when instructed, many will have younger siblings. Hoards of little ones running in all directions, sounds so stressful to me. You would definitely have to specify one adult per child as it's too easy to get distracted.

Astro55 Thu 20-Apr-17 09:42:25

Get a couple of windbreakers to mark the party boundaries - helps stop them wondering off

Provide lots of bucks and spades (as party favorite)

If nice thrown in some water pistols

Don't forget sun cream

I wouldn't host but I'd let the kids attend

If it's the beach I'm sure little ones would enjoy it too - take them a packed lunch

SweetDee33 Thu 20-Apr-17 14:37:38

Thanks, some very good points here! Yes I think parents would have to stay. There are loos within 100 metres, parking, a lovely cafe and some ice cream huts. We can mark out a good spot on the beach, it's clean and no dogs during the summer. Rain though...it's that that really bothers me. I'd hate for people to go to trouble planning to attend and then be told in the morning not to bother coming as it's been cancelled. I am tempted just to make it a family and close friends thing. If dd'll let me get away with that, that is!

SweetDee33 Thu 20-Apr-17 14:39:40

As in, our close friends with their dcs who are used to coming to the beach hut with us!

Boooooom Thu 20-Apr-17 14:49:25

Sounds really fun, kids love getting messy/dirty/running around/splashing/ice cream...if you've enough adults to keep a good eye on them all then do it!

Aquamarine1029 Thu 20-Apr-17 16:05:22

I would be most concerned about the safety aspect of it. Four year olds need constant supervision, and on top of that, you'll be near water which personally makes me very nervous with a large group of little ones.

2014newme Thu 20-Apr-17 16:07:02

Surely people would supervise their own children? So no different to any other seaside trip

Astro55 Thu 20-Apr-17 16:11:12

With the water - just state nobody is allowed in unless there an adult in the shore line -

I did a similar school trip when DD was Y1

60 kids everyone had a great day and nobody got lost or hurt - except a few pairs of socks

Christobel51 Thu 20-Apr-17 16:15:28

Sounds brilliant. I have done similar for my daughter's 4th birthday but on a slightly smaller scale.
Definitely parents need to stay, and ensure that siblings are welcome as well to make life easier for the parents. Obviously, it wasn't that restful for us but fun for the children. None of the children actually really went in the sea, although some paddled a bit. I
I think a few organised party games would go down well. We did a Pinata which we hooked up somehow with a rug underneath to catch everything and that went down well, and a little treasure hunt ( ie find a shell, find a piece of drift wood, find a brown pebble etc)
Bring an easy picnic, mini sausages, mini tomatoes, crisps, mini packet of biscuits each and then there is no chopping or dividing of food. Bring lots of picnic blankets. An ice team from the kiosk went down well and I made a cake. We had a beach hut too which was great for storing all the stuff and keeping valuables safe. Great fun.!

y0rkier0se Thu 20-Apr-17 17:26:19

Could you take a couple of cheap plastic gazebos incase of rain?

Foxedme Thu 20-Apr-17 20:09:19

It sounds perfect! They'll love it. Parents expect to stay if kids are nursery age. We did a lovely outdoor party for my DD1 years ago. I just popped on the invite next to the date 'if it's raining it will be on the next sunny Saturday'. Luckily weather was fine. Kids will spend hours playing in the sand, plus you can hide things for them to dig up! And take them all down for a paddle. You'll have wonderful photos to keep.
Ahhhh wish my two littlies didn't have freezing January birthdays!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now