Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about slings/wraps please

(11 Posts)
crazypenguinlady Wed 19-Apr-17 21:21:47

DS is 7 weeks old. I've got a carrier for him which he likes but it can be a little uncomfortable when it's hot. He is a baby that likes being close to me so I'm looking at the fabric wraps which seem more comfortable.

Any recommendations on a good wrap/sling? I'm looking around the £30 mark. What age does a sling usually last until? He'll be 2 months old next week and was 11lbs when weighed a few weeks ago (I'm estimating he's at leaSt 12lbs by now)

IfNotDuffers Wed 19-Apr-17 21:26:35

If you google 'sling library' and your local area, you'll find somewhere you can try out the various types of sling / wrap (unless you live somewhere fairly remote). It's a bit like buying shoes - what works for one person doesn't work for another, so while I could recommend various things, it all rather depends on your body shape, preferences etc. Having said that, I loved my Hana Wrap. But I'm usually cold, so I didn't find it too hot, which I know other people do sometimes.

SleepForTheWeek Wed 19-Apr-17 21:53:36

I used a Moby Wrap until DD was about 1, although I probably could have used it for longer with her.

I've heard a lot of good things about the close caboo - same idea as a wrap but less faff putting them on

CaptainWarbeck Thu 20-Apr-17 06:28:25

I used a connecta - more expensive than you're after but the resale value is good. It's a fabric carrier with buckles, so baby is directly up against your chest and then held there by the fabric. Really comfy. I used mine up until DS was about 18 months, you can use it for back carries too.

I think a sling library is a good idea to try before you buy, and you might have a sling meet up near you where you can be shown how the different types work.

Blueredballoon Thu 20-Apr-17 06:30:14

I also recommend the connecta. My DC is 20 months now and we still use it for some back carries occasionally, it's been brilliant.

Definitely try to get to a sling library, they're super helpful.

CaptainWarbeck Thu 20-Apr-17 06:30:31

Connecta: smile

Heirhelp Thu 20-Apr-17 08:09:35

Definitely try before you buy. I could not manage a connecta.

2015mom Thu 20-Apr-17 09:47:23

There are many wraps and depends what suits you and your baby. Definitely try the sling library near you as you can hire them for two weeks for a small fee. I was charged £5 to hire for two weeks and it let me decide before I buy. I have got two slings at home but wanted to try a material one - the ring sling to see if it helped with breastfeeding. In the end it was giving me neck and shoulder ache which was prob due to my posture but helped me decide against getting another wrap/sling

Daisies123 Thu 20-Apr-17 14:14:56

Definitely try a sling library. I had a Close Caboo from birth until around five months (goes to much bigger but it's harder to tighten the straps) and then a Connecta which I still use occasionally (DD 16mo and walking now).

I was expecting to prefer an Ergo but borrowed that and Connecta from sling library and that really helped me decide! They are all more than your budget though but seem to have excellent resale value?

Badweekjustgotworse Thu 20-Apr-17 14:31:08

Local sling library is your first port of call, then hunt on Facebook for local sling or babywearing groups, you might make some friends who may let you try their slings too. We still baby wear with our twins and they're nearly 3 shock I had them both at work with me today and they took it in turns in the ringsling when they wanted cuddles and were getting tired. I loved wrapping when they were younger but once they get mobile it's easier to have buckles or ringslings for quick ins and outs. Be warned though buying wraps is addictive... I've still got a few and live then too much to part with

Whatsername17 Thu 20-Apr-17 19:26:16

I like the close caboo too. Couldn't get on with a wrap. Dd2 keeps slipping down and I worried about suffocating her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now