Talk

Advanced search

13 month old turned into a fussy eater

(6 Posts)
Dottydoodoo Wed 19-Apr-17 19:52:21

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but I feel that we have gone beyond the weaning stage now.

My DS is just 13 months old, and over the last week or so has suddenly got really fussy over his food. When we started weaning him he was keen to try everything, but he's completely different now! Anything new he gets given he just simply throws on the floor, he won't even try.

I don't know if I'm expecting too much of him and tbh I won't be at all offended if you all think I am. He is my first so I'm new to all this.

At his one year check the HV said he must be eating 'family foods' by now. This is fine and I totally agree but DS doesn't! He will happily gobble up an Ella's kitchen pouch but rejects my homemade offerings. I have tried making food sloppy and bland, have spent ages making things I think he will love but he just won't eat them!

DH says I don't need to worry and that he will eat proper foods when he is older, but I just worry that he isn't getting the right nutrients etc. Last night he had a banana and strawberries for dinner, and tonight half a slice of toast.

Help! Do I just go with the flow and hope that one day he will eat proper foods, or am I going to be buying Ella's kitchen pouches for the rest of my life!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 20-Apr-17 18:07:54

My DS would only have smooth purees at this age and the odd bit of finger food. Does your DS have tongue tie by any chance?

Dottydoodoo Sat 22-Apr-17 16:43:18

I don't think he has a tongue tie but I could always ask the HV to check.

I think he might be getting a molar through, which probably isn't helping the situation. Yesterday he refused his favourite Ella's kitchen pouch, he hadn't even had any just pushed it straight away! Then get to lunchtime today when he couldn't get his sandwiches in his mouth fast enough, ate everything on offer and looked as if he could have more.

One of my friends said her little one who is a few weeks younger is exactly the same at the moment, so I'm really hoping that it's just a phase.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 22-Apr-17 19:11:59

Sound s like it could be teething then. Have you tried a teething gel like Dentinox? Frozen bananas, big chunks of cucumber and Ice Lollies can allhelp alleviate the pain smile

ErrolTheDragon Sat 22-Apr-17 20:01:51

I think it's quite normal for them to get fussy at this age, after previously happily eating everything. Some toddlers don't like 'bland and sloppy' - some like chewy/crunchy and not mushed together (eg bread(sticks) and chunks of cheese, raw veg sticks - quick to prepare so not as annoying if they're rejected so maybe worth a try.

glueandstick Mon 24-Apr-17 19:32:25

Mine has just spent a week only eating strawberries and figs (the nappies have been glorious).

God only knows what this week holds.

I think they all do this. Bloody kids!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now