Talk

Advanced search

How much food is your 14-18 month old eating?!

(18 Posts)
1t6y9o Wed 19-Apr-17 06:35:16

Are any of you feeding a toddler, around 14-15 months? I'm just wondering about quantities of food and milk for this age. My little one keeps waking early (sometimes 4.30am) and I can only think it's through hunger as he's very cross and overtired until his nap. How much are your little ones eating? And do you give supper?

Mine has his tea at 5pm (one course) and that's it ... he's no longer interested in milk before bed and I rarely offer supper. To me it seems like he's eating plenty of food through the day but maybe I'm wrong. Any advice greatly appreciated.

isthistoonosy Wed 19-Apr-17 06:39:52

At that age mine had dinner at five and I offered porridge before bed, sometimes they ate it but not always.

GemmaB78 Wed 19-Apr-17 06:40:01

My 20 month old has roughly the following:

Breakfast of porridge and banana and some milk
Morning snack - usually some fruit and a couple of breadsticks
Main meal at lunchtime including a dessert.
Milk after his nap
Tea including a yoghurt or fruit for dessert
A small snack when we have our dinner
Some milk before bedtime

This has been his routine for a while now. We weren't giving him anything but the milk in the evening and found he was waking early. That small snack with us at around 6:30 seems to help.

Hughpughbarneymagrew Wed 19-Apr-17 06:41:40

My 14 month old has similar meals to gemma

Foreverhopeful22 Wed 19-Apr-17 06:51:04

Mine has breakfast half slice of toast and half a banana
Lunch chicken drumstick humous bread mayo

Dinner is (for portion) size 2 fish fingers half a corn on cob and two tablespoons of potatoe.

Or 3 table spoons of spaghetti bolognaise and corn and usually plain pasta on side.

She has food allergies and extra acid so she can't have fruit. She is on a high sugar diet and high fat diet so snacks are free from biscuits, buttons , soya yoghurt and jelly and custard

She is 22months she is also still on formula and has a fat substitute added.

newmumwithquestions Wed 19-Apr-17 06:51:54

She's ill at the moment but 16 mo usually has:
BF on waking (approx 6:30)
Breakfast of porridge or 1 weetabix + fruit (ff milk)
Snack - 1/2 banana and couple rice cakes or equivalent
Lunch of full meal, she seems to eat a lot, usually clears plate and has seconds at nursery
BF before afternoon nap
Usually a snack of fruit when she wakes up, depends on the time.
Tea around 18:30 - full cooked meal, often fruit/yogurt for desert
BF at bedtime (8pm).

She's 16 m but has ate the same at 14-15 m

1t6y9o Wed 19-Apr-17 07:00:16

Gemma - what time does he have his tea? And what time does he have the small snack when you have dinner? What do you give him for the snack? Thank you!

KatyN Wed 19-Apr-17 09:05:55

Mine has half a small plate of savoury for each meal and then a yoghurt sized pudding. She'll have milk in the morning and before bed.. maybe 4oz. Have you tried offering milk in a different cup? My daughter goes through phases of only drinking out of a soppy cup and then going back to a bottle. I think it's when her teeth hurt.
Could it also be the light waking him up? Kx

1t6y9o Wed 19-Apr-17 09:12:40

Definitely not the light as he has blackout blind and blackout curtains over the top. Have tried milk in various cups but don't want to go back to bottle since we got rid of them ages ago.

Summerdays2014 Wed 19-Apr-17 13:18:50

Today my 15 month old son has had/will have...

6.30am - Cup of milk
8am - porridge and an apple
10.45 - some organic sweet corn ring things
12.00 - a slice of toast topped with tuna and cheese with tomato and avacardo, yoghurt
He will have his tea at 4 which will be roast veg with pasta (courgette, aubergine, peppers etc) followed by fruit - probably some mango.
7pm - cup of milk

Daisies123 Wed 19-Apr-17 15:33:33

16 mo here

7 am breastfeed
Breakfast (8am nursery/9am home)- two Weetabix plus half banana
Snack mid-morning- breadsticks or satsuma
Lunch (11.30 nursery/1pm home) - peanut butter sandwich (one slice bread), tomatoes, cucumber. LittleYeo yogurt. Blueberries, half banana or apple slices
Tea (4.30 nursery/5.45 home): cooked meal with fist size of pasta, potato, some protein, pile of veg. Then yogurt (if not had earlier), fruit.
Snack (5.45pm nursery/4.30 home) breadsticks and milk.
Bedtime milk at 6.30ish- 120ml if home day, usually twice that if nursery day. Asleep by 7.15, sleeps through til 7.

HiDBandSIL Wed 19-Apr-17 19:43:28

I've had two early wakers (5:30) who both ate/eat like horses.

HandbagFan Wed 19-Apr-17 21:04:27

DS is 14m:

7.30 - milk
8.30 - breakfast - toast and yoghurt or banana
12.30 - lunch - leftovers or protein with rice cake and fruit or similar
3.30 - snack - rice cake or biscuit or similar (today it was some of the carrot cake I was eating!)
6 - dinner - either same meal we're eating or a toddler ready meal. Sometimes within fruit or yoghurt.
7.30 - milk

Then bed 8-7.30ish.

Nottsangel2015 Wed 19-Apr-17 21:18:52

My daughter is 21 months (19 months corrected)
She can eat more some days and less others but on average she has the following:

6.30am milk
8.30am breakfast - slice of toast or omelette
11am snack - fruit, small biscuits, breadsticks etc...
(Naps 12-1.30)
2pm lunch - doesn't eat bread (except toastedhmm) so will have some chopped cheese, crackers, fruit, chicken chunks etc...
6pm - dinner and desert
7.30-8 - milk
8pm bed

Like this said some days she eats loads and other days not really fussed. I put that down to teething though.

We were waking up at 5.30 a few months ago but we just got up and gave her a bottle of milk in bed and left her to it and she would fall back asleep until about 7.30/8am. Now she doesn't bother waking at that time she just gets up about 6.30 which is fine with me I have work and another child to get to school.

Op maybe it's just a phase?

Could you try dinner a bit later like 6pm? Or introduce a yoghurt or something about 6.30?

Caterina99 Thu 20-Apr-17 19:29:54

My DS is 22 months, but his meals haven't really changed since he was about 14 months. Some days he eats more, some less.

7.30 ish weetabix or porridge, slice of toast, some fruit
9.30/10ish snack - fruit/cheese/crackers/pretzels etc
12ish lunch with yoghurt for pudding
3ish snack - same as before
5/5.30ish dinner. Usually with fruit or sometimes rice pudding, custard etc.
7ish cup of milk.

He drinks milk with breakfast and his snacks. I don't really keep a tab on how much as it varies, but prob between 10 and 15 oz a day. So not loads. Usually sleeps 11/12 hours

If you think he's hungry before bed and he won't drink milk then I'd try a small snack like half a banana or some porridge?

1t6y9o Fri 21-Apr-17 16:31:33

Thanks for all the info ladies... I've tried slightly later tea then yoghurt and banana at 6.30 just before his bath the last 3 days. He's eaten so well and still waking at 5.30am! I wouldn't mind if he was one of these children who didn't need to sleep any longer but that's not it ... he has dark rings under his eyes.

He's settling at 7.30pm so only getting 10 hours.

Back to the drawing board. He still has 15 min nap around 9am so I may try to cut that out and see what happens. Not sure if he'll make it to after lunch for his big nap though as he's waking so early sad

WhyTheHeckMe Fri 21-Apr-17 22:34:20

Op my ds is 15 months old and we had the 5.30 am wakings.
I don't know how you feel about it but in the end we just left him. He was clearly still knackered but the birds were signing outside the window which would wake him and he would make no attempt to lie back down.
After 3 days of him whinging on his cot for around 15 mins he realised we weren't getting up and started sleeping in till we woke him up at 7 so we could go to work!
I'd never leave him screaming or crying but when we went in it was showing him he had something good to wake up for

As for food- today

7oz bottle at 7am
8.30am - Shredded wheat and a piece of toast
10am - a sliced apple and some grapes
12pm - 2 portions of lasagne and garlic bread (nursery said he was starving!) Yoghurt
2.30 pm - sandwich
4pm - crackers and cheese
6pm - sweet and sour chicken, fruit pot and a bit of easter egg
7.30pm - 7oz bottle and bed

He eats loads but he also never sits still. He isn't interested in TV he just loves to play and be outdoors or follow us around. So he quickly burns it off and sleeps well at night.

He eats all this and is only on the 25th percentile!

Daisies123 Sat 22-Apr-17 07:28:07

We had the early waking problem a couple of months ago at 14 mo. I treated anything before 6.30 as a night waking- so went in, laid her down again, did a bit of pat pat pat and then left her to it, saying 'it's night time DD' several times before leaving. It seemed to do the trick and she now generally does 7-7. It also depends on knowing her noises - so she'll often do one small wail whilst turning over, but doesn't actually wake, so I know to ignore that now.

I've also started putting a board book in her cot when I go to bed at 10pm. Means she has something to look at if she wakes early so she'll often peacefully turn the pages when she wakes up - it's 7.25am now and she's been awake about ten minutes - I can hear pages turning and some giggles and chat from her room but buys me more time in bed! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now