Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Dual Nationality

(3 Posts)
emily1200emily Mon 17-Apr-17 21:13:31

Hey Ladies I have a problem I currently reside in the U.K. and would like to apply for my child under 18 a American citizenship so he can have and American and British nationality as his job is moving there I don't want an American nationality I have family America can anyone help
Thanks appreciate ithmm

lljkk Mon 17-Apr-17 21:21:45

Y do you think your son is entitled to US nationality?

SatelliteCity Tue 18-Apr-17 10:22:14

As the previous poster stated, no one will be able to help you without more information. Which family members live in the US? How are they related to your son? Your post makes it sound as though your son's job is moving to America, but if he's under 18 that seems unlikely?

Based on the little information you've provided it's unlikely that you will be able to get US citizenship for your son. Assuming he was not born in the US (in which case he would automatically be a US citizen) the two ways you can generally acquire US citizenship via family members is if you have a US citizen parent who has lived in the US for at least five years (two of them as an adult), if you have TWO US citizen parents (with no residency requirements), or if you have a US citizen parent who does not meet the residency criteria and a US citizen grandparent who does.

ALL of these paths require a US citizen parent, so unless your son's father is American, it's unlikely to work.

If you want to get your son a green card so that he can work in the US, then it's possible his family members will be able to guarantee him a green card as long as they will also financially sponsor him to be there. But generally this is for immediate family. So, for instance, as long as you can financially support them, you could guarantee a green card for a spouse or child, but not for a cousin.

Remember, though, the US has birthright citizenship. So if you or your son were born in the US, under any circumstances, you are ALREADY US citizens.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: