Talk

Advanced search

Kids board games - always tears!!

(9 Posts)
Juliecloud Mon 17-Apr-17 13:17:29

Agggghhhhhh! I always have visions of us, sitting round the table, playing board games with everyone laughing and having fun. This never happens. I just bought Pigs In Pants, having had it recommended to me by lots of people. The DC (3, 5 and 7) were very excited about it. I went in a team with the 3YO.

The 5YO ended up crying, the 7YO left mid game to watch tv and the 3YO kept throwing cards all over the place.

Why did I bother???

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 17-Apr-17 15:09:51

We always liked playing board games when I was a child but I can remember my DSister regularly having a strop. Think it's just a normal part of family life.

Not heard of that game, what's the age recommendation?

Juliecloud Mon 17-Apr-17 17:30:44

It's an orchard game. I think it's age 4+? I thought the kids would all like it cos it involves talking about pants!

gamerchick Mon 17-Apr-17 17:34:33

Depends on the game. Operation is hell. Sorry is marginally better if you take 2 of the sorry cards out.

I too have a little fantasy of smiling happy enjoyable games then realise why the gaps in between are so big grin

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 17-Apr-17 22:00:13

It does get better. DC1 is currently into Exploding Kittens. Everyone from youngest cousin (8) to oldest member of the family (87) seem to get the hang of it and enjoy, plus it's pretty portable smile

BlueChampagne Tue 18-Apr-17 12:13:01

Persevere - that's quite young to be able to lose gracefully! All part of growing up, and with practice and good modelling from older players (grandparents can be great for this), it will get better. At 7 and 9, ours play games regularly and aren't too sore when they lose (or at least know they shouldn't be).

KingLooieCatz Tue 18-Apr-17 12:59:25

Search for co-operative board games, where everyone has to play together, no winners or losers. Options are limited with a three year old.

Younger nephews are sometimes teamed up with an adult or older child in our family, it is easier on their attention span as they can wander off and come back. Also, they're at less of a disadvantage. It's miserable when you're the youngest and you lose every single time.

We also find the first time we play a new game can more stressful as we're learning the rules.

My fave co-op game is "Escape from the Temple". Your youngest would struggle but might enjoy teaming up with someone. And I'd totally ignore the time limit/CD, especially with younger children.

LizzieMacQueen Tue 18-Apr-17 13:01:38

I think you need to start small if you have a sore loser.

Knots and crosses would be my recommendation. Over and over so they get equal (?) feelings of winning and losing, nullifies it a wee bit.

PandasRock Tue 18-Apr-17 13:04:16

The problem is the game.

We play a LOT of games. Mostly Orchard toys ones, but have a vast selection (dd1, age 12, has learning difficulties, and this level of game is her limit; have accrued MANY over the years)

We play as a family - dd1 (12, with LD, functioning around 4-6 for these purposes), dd2 (age 9, and happy to join in) and ds (age 4).

We have our ups and downs, but generally games go fine, apart from Pigs in Pants. Ds cannot cope with it at all. I think it's the fast pace from being winner with loads of pants to having nothing at all. Dunno, but he's always in tears over it, and he isn't with other games generally. Even dd2 can have a bit of a sulk about it!

Ditch the game, try again with a different one. I agree the pants theme is good for a laugh, but the game is not worth the angst it provokes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now