Talk

Advanced search

how can I get my 15mo to walk in my direction!?

(23 Posts)
WhyTheHeckMe Sun 16-Apr-17 21:54:51

Ds is 15 months and has been waking very well since 10 months. He detests his pushchair so if feasible we take his smarttrike out.
The problem is he wants to walk but won't walk the same way we are... How do you teach them this?
If we try and hold hands or put his reins on he will cry and throw himself to the floor
We've tried just very short walks to the shop on our street etc but they all end up with us carrying him and him crying!
We end up carrying him because it's embarrassing but then this isn't helping us sort it out.
Are we expecting too much of him or is there something we're doing wrong?
Please help!

doge Sun 16-Apr-17 21:58:18

No advice but watching this as I have the same problem with my 17m old! I'm panicking as I'm 36 weeks pregnant and can't be chasing after her all the time sad.

She's totally unfussed if I start to walk off to try and convince her to follow me!

fusspot66 Sun 16-Apr-17 21:59:14

He still very young! A microscooter keeps them.moving forward - suitable from 18 months, but you need to be able to.outrun them until they acquire some sense.

isthistoonosy Sun 16-Apr-17 22:04:21

I just make them hold my hand, otherwise I hold them .by their coat, and then I go the way I need to go. Obv its slow and the scream a bit the first few times but after that they accept what is happening / going to happen.

HeyRoly Sun 16-Apr-17 22:05:20

Neither of my children would do this as toddlers. Stubborn little ratbags. When I see young toddlers obediently trotting alongside a parent, holding their hand, I wonder what the secret is?

It's personality, I think grin

As for a baby on a scooter - my children are way too clumsy for that!

muffintopsausage Sun 16-Apr-17 22:05:47

Best advice I can give is give him an incentive to walk in your direction. Make it fun!.

To him, the way he is going is fun and new. The way you're going isn't. So make it fun!

doge Sun 16-Apr-17 22:09:45

To him, the way he is going is fun and new. The way you're going isn't. So make it fun!

I've tried "oooh wow look what's up here!" And "come and chase me!" But she still ignores me and I look like a right idiot grin

joopy79 Sun 16-Apr-17 22:13:16

When we were on a walk we would throw stones and ds would happily chase after them

lljkk Sun 16-Apr-17 22:15:06

hahhahahaa..

Big knee makes them go in pushchair.
Sorry, not answer you want, but you're trying to herd a cat.

HeyRoly Sun 16-Apr-17 22:37:08

My son (23m) throws himself on the floor at the merest suggestion of not walking in the direction HE wants.

That usually is the point at which he goes back in the buggy. He cannot be cajoled or jollied along or reasoned with or guided using reins/his clothing. Nope wine

pasbeaucoupdegendarme Sun 16-Apr-17 22:40:17

What lljkk said. Sorry!

WhyTheHeckMe Sun 16-Apr-17 23:17:07

Ace. I'm doomed lol.
Thanks for responding though! So at what age do you ditch the buggy? I was kind of thinking you only need to use a buggy till 18 months then only after that if you're on a really long walk.
Yes, I am a first time mum can u tell grin

isthistoonosy Mon 17-Apr-17 07:10:31

Mine are 3.5 and 2.3 and I still use a double even though they can iof course both walk. Both for long walks and if I'm in a hurry.

KP86 Mon 17-Apr-17 07:15:46

DS has just turned 3 and we have only in the last month ditched the pram. And I still have it as a fallback if I have places I need to be at a particular time or I need to be able to secure him at our destination.

Walking with him is far more tiring than pushing the heavy bugger in the pram.

ThursdayLastWeek Mon 17-Apr-17 07:23:21

Yep, keep the pushchair!
We kept DS in the pushchair until he was nearly 3 - he went for lots of walks in parks and gardens and on the beach etc. But when I needed to go into town and not have him touching stuff, running away, throwing tantrums - pushchair it was!

BasinHaircut Mon 17-Apr-17 07:24:59

My DS refused a buggy from 18 months and could get out of it himself so trying to force him to sit in it was just too hazardous.

Unfortunately we then spend the next year not actually walking very much at all as it was just too stressful! We used to take him over to country parks for walks where it didn't matter if he ran off a bit, but along the street was a no no. He is 3.5 now and it's fine but I agree it was exactly like trying to herd a cat and pointless trying to 'train' him.

I am also amazed when I see young Kids walking along obediently, or sitting in a buggy calmly, or sitting still in general as that's just not my experience if having a toddler!

I also agree it's down to personality and it's a right pain in the arsr but just something that doesn't happen until a bit older in some kids.

Northgate Mon 17-Apr-17 07:35:06

We used to give DS1 the option of walking nicely or going in the pushchair.

Downside is, you have to take the pushchair along too, and be prepared to grapple a screaming thrashing toddler into it if they persist in not walking nicely.

Agree it's personality though. After DS1, i was astonished when DS2 started walking, and was content to trot along obediently at my side.

DeathMetalMum Mon 17-Apr-17 07:44:44

Keep the pushchair.

When dd's were a little older we had a rule hand or pushchair. If they didn't hold hand they were back in the pushchair. Yes we had a few bouts of screaming kids walking down the road but it didn't last long, better than having kids flattened by traffic.

I have a friend who was quite blaze about holding hand's at that age etc didn't particularly enforce it at all. I really dislike walking anywhere with her now dc are older. One constantly bounces down the pavement looking like they are going to run into the road at any minute. I almost have a heart attack, I have seen drivers very quickly slow down too.

bruffin Mon 17-Apr-17 07:49:24

Reins attached to the d clips of the buggy. And reins or one of those animal back packs with reins when walking

Lweji Mon 17-Apr-17 07:53:06

IMO the best tip for successful parenting is to get to know your children and what makes them tick.
It takes some observation and some trial and error, but you should then be able to ask then to choose between your way or something they don't like. Alternatively, to lure them and reward them with something they love.
We can all suggest rewards or bad alternatives, but only you know what can work for your child.

Then you have two choices: one good and one bad alternative for them to choose, or reward/distract them to do what you want.
For the last one it can be as simple as talking to them and change the subject to something they enjoy. It works for my 12 year old too. grin

Lweji Mon 17-Apr-17 07:54:56

Oh, would he push the chair? DS used to love it. Win, win. You take the chair but don't have to push it.

Rinceoir Mon 17-Apr-17 08:12:43

At that age DD either held my hand/went in buggy. There were tantrums but road safety is so important. I got reins too, but would loop my hand through the handle and still insist she held my hand. We live in London, streets are far too busy to have small children running around. Like a previous poster we have a friend who would allow her very young toddler to walk alone in front and I was always terrified.

She's just 3 now, and the buggy is used for trips to and from nursery only, as we tend to be in a rush in the mornings, but I think by the summer we will be ditching it in favour of scooter. She walks very nicely now too. I think people who get rid of buggies very young either drive a lot or have a lot of time to go places!

BasinHaircut Mon 17-Apr-17 10:08:09

rinceior in our case we just didn't go many places that he wouldn't be able cope with unless absolutely necessary! DS refused the buggy from 18 months and I just want an easy life so I wasn't forcing him. Too stressful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now