Talk

Advanced search

Ditching the dummy tonight!

(22 Posts)
kitkat321 Sat 15-Apr-17 15:28:32

Dd is now 2.5 months and we've been gradually reducing the dummy and it's now for bed/nap time only.

She still asks for it a lot and I'm wondering if it's too early?

We've been talking about giving it to the Easter bunny for months now in exchange for chocolate eggs so we've been trying to prepare but I wonder if that will cut it tomorrow when she's screaming for it!

Moral support needed please!!

Loulou2kent Sat 15-Apr-17 15:43:04

I think it's great that you've been preparing for it & timed it well for the Easter Bunny.

I took my son's away at 2.6 & we had one night of tears whilst he was drifting off to sleep but that was it & was so worth it!

Goodluck OP!

highneeds Sat 15-Apr-17 15:43:59

You can do this! For us the best thing to do was just go cold turkey, do the whole 'give them to the Easter bunny' then you make sure you bin them so that you don't cave. We had one very unsettled night then he wasn't bothered about it after that. This is a boy who absolutely loved it, we dreaded taking it away from him. I did lots of "you're a BIG boy now and big boys don't have dummies" and that seemed to get him on board. My advice I just go for it, it may be uncomfortable in the short term but she'll soon forget. Oh and don't forget to scour all around your house, behind furniture and in pockets because you probably have some lurking there that she might get hold on when you think you're cold turkey. Good luck x

kitkat321 Sat 15-Apr-17 15:56:44

Thanks both! I've got her a bunny teddy as well so I'm going to try and make that the dummy replacement!

She's not been great sleeping through the night since we took the bars off her cot a couple of months ago and I'm expecting this to make her worse!

I'd love to just have a couple of rough nights but I think we might have a rough couple of weeks coming up!

highneeds Sat 15-Apr-17 16:09:24

You might be surprised OP. But if you prepare yourself for the worst then any better will be a bonus!

SunshineBabe Sat 15-Apr-17 16:13:03

We are doing it tonight too! Although my dd is older at 3.4. We are leaving them out for the dummy fairy and the fairy is leaving an impressive present, in the hope that she doesn't want to exchange said present for her dummies to be returned. Good luck grin

peaceloveandbiscuits Sat 15-Apr-17 17:08:09

I read that as 2.5 months rather than 2 years 5 months and thought it peculiar that she was asking for it a lot grin

SunshineBabe Sat 15-Apr-17 19:26:50

How are you getting on? We have hung the dummies on the tree outside and dd went to bed about 15 minutes ago with no issues. Hopefully she's actually gone to sleep!

Ecureuil Sat 15-Apr-17 19:31:54

We did it with DD1 at 2.5. I was absolutely dreading it. It was... easy. The dummy fairy took them, and brought her a Snow White doll. She never asked for it again! DD2 was around 7 months at the time and had a dummy, and DD1 didn't once try and take hers or anything like that.
DD2 is now 21 months and I'm thinking about when to take hers away. She's a very different child to DD1...

FATEdestiny Sat 15-Apr-17 19:36:58

I've never had any difficulties dropping the dummies with my children. We did it a bit later though and negotiated a lot about it in preparation.

Good luck op!

HSMMaCM Sat 15-Apr-17 19:53:33

Definitely bin the dummies or you will give in. It'll be fine, don't worry.

gingerpusscat Sun 16-Apr-17 04:56:30

We've just done it today. DS will be 3 next month. Easter Bunny needed the dummies for the poor crying babies. Big boys and girls get books instead. So far so good. All dummies binned (including the one I removed from his mouth at 4am) Fingers crossed for bedtime tonight...

bingandabong Sun 16-Apr-17 05:34:49

We did it at 2 as DS only ever had it for sleep, but we spoke about it for a few days giving it to the fairy to give it to the new babies, on a walk he saw some baby goats and told them they could have his dummies!
So that night he went to bed without them. In the morning he had some little presents from the fairy to say Thankyou. He then asked for it next night but when I said the fairy took them, he was said oh yea for the babies and baby goats lol. The only thing we found was he started waking early for a few days at 6am instead of 7am, but I think it was jut for him to learn to settle back off without the dummy. He only asked for it that once.
I think you've done great OP to mention that it will be going, they will ask for it, but make sure you get rid of all of them so you're not tempted to give in.

Rinkydinkypink Sun 16-Apr-17 06:30:46

We did it last night. It's been ok so far but she was very upset at bedtime. I expected a sleepless night but we've been lucky! Tonight will be the real test. No presents coming tonight

kitkat321 Sun 16-Apr-17 10:59:59

So far so good although she is a bit tired today as we were at a family party last night - I took the dummy from her this morning- tried to do it at 4am but she caught me.

Because she is a bit tired today she's asking for it a bit but I've been able to fob her off so far!

HSMMaCM Sun 16-Apr-17 11:33:17

You have to bin it, or you will give in. She will be fine.

kitkat321 Sun 16-Apr-17 17:47:42

Dummy is in the bin and she had her afternoon nap without it (after some tears) unfortunately she now seems to coming down with a cold so not great timing!

highneeds Sun 16-Apr-17 20:14:11

Well done. Oh dear about the cold. If you can stick with it though. There's never the perfect time and if you cave now you're just drawing out the agony of it. She will be okay without it. Lots of soft blankets and cuddly toys and a little beaker of milk for nap times, sorry I know that's stating the obvious but just try to shift her focus on to other sources of comfort x

SunshineBabe Sun 16-Apr-17 20:38:33

Stick with it! My dd has done surprisingly well so far. Went to bed tonight with no issues at all and has only asked for it once today. I'm very dubious as she was so attached to the things so thought it would be much worse! Maybe it's yet to come shock

kitkat321 Sun 16-Apr-17 22:53:44

She's gone to sleep ok tonight without it - got up once to ask for it anc got a tad early the wanted me to lie with her which I did for a bit after giving her some calpol - so far so good!

anotherBadAvatar Mon 17-Apr-17 13:01:06

We've done exactly this with our 2.5yr old DD this weekend OP. Easter bunny took the dummies for the baby bunnies and left a big chocolate egg instead.

Daytime naps are going fine bizarrely, but bedtime has been more difficult - taking her 1.5-2hrs to fall asleep and then waking up at some point in the night softly wailing, but relatively easy to settle.

Any ideas to help her get off to sleep? Rest of the bedtime routine is unchanged!

kitkat321 Mon 17-Apr-17 16:00:56

Today has gone well so far - well timed car journey after soft play meant she napped in the car with no mention of it.

Fingers crossed for an easy night.

BadAvatar hope the nights get a bit easier for you - I get the feeling this isn't a straight road though but fingers crossed they get over it quickly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now