Talk

Advanced search

Bottle rejection by baby using nipple shield

(9 Posts)
Anythingbyprince Fri 14-Apr-17 21:00:44

Can anyone help?! I've got a 5 mth old baby who has only ever breast fed using nipple shields (was 6wks early and couldn't latch at first). She has always been fine taking a bottle (using tommee tippee) for the odd feed. However I left if for a few weeks and now she's refusing it. Tried lots of tricks; dad feeding her, wrapping bottle in muslin, tried switching to bottle half way through a breast feed, a latex teat.... argh! Even tried the shield over the bottle 😂. Any experience greatly appreciated.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 15-Apr-17 10:27:47

Don't beat yourself up about not giving her a bottle for a few weeks. Even if she'd had a bottle everyday, it's quite normal for a baby who is both breast and bottle fed to chose one method and completely refuse the other. She's just making her preference known smile

If she won't take the bottle, have you tried a cup?

PastysPrincess Sat 15-Apr-17 10:31:56

Mine refused bottles after he didn't have them for a while as we had his tongue tie cut. Nothing we did made any difference and even when I returned to work when he was 6 months he would go the whole day without a bottle until I got home (12+ hours). We started weaning him and added extra fluid to his foods to make sure he didn't get dehydrated in the day.

Heirhelp Sat 15-Apr-17 17:57:22

Try a different bottle. Mam or Nuk.

UppityHumpty Sat 15-Apr-17 17:58:20

Keep trying and be insistant. Will take it eventually

ODog Sun 16-Apr-17 20:13:36

DS would only take formula from a bottle and only if it was slightly hotter than I would be comfortable giving a baby. Trial and error though I'm afraid.

Sewingbeatshousework Sun 16-Apr-17 20:16:29

My DS refused a bottle and at 5 months we started giving him his milk in a free flowing tipee cup (his preference).

DermotOLogical Sun 16-Apr-17 20:39:28

Try a free flowing cup. My 3mo will take this better than a bottle.

Anythingbyprince Tue 18-Apr-17 19:46:40

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. Am going to try all of the above and keep at it. Going to a concert on 13th May so really hoping to crack it by then! 🤞🏻

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now