Talk

Advanced search

Knickers for skinny DCs

(14 Posts)
skankingpiglet Thu 13-Apr-17 14:58:06

DD1 is a slim build. She's 2.10 and although she has fitted 2-3yo clothes in length since last summer, the waist bands have only started fitting very recently in many brands (some of the European brands are a slimmer cut so these have fit along with the length from around 2yo).

We potty trained a year ago and went for cheap supermarket packs of knickers as at the time quantity was more important than fit, but now the 18-24m are a bit small in the fabric/bum coverage department. We've gone up a size and 2-3 fit well enough on her waist, and well for bum coverage but now Summer is upon us I noticed at the park they are, erm, somewhat gappy on the legs in the park whilst she was hanging upside down with her legs apart and skirt around her ears.

Does anyone have a similarly-built DD who can recommend a brand or two that might fit her better? It's going to be very expensive if I have to buy a pack from lots of different places and I don't think they are the kind of items you can return! I don't want to make her wear shorts under her skirt (not sure she'd agree to wear them anyway), but do want her covered obviously! Thanks smile

KP86 Thu 13-Apr-17 15:06:01

Primark generally come up small.

Maybe try plain boys cut too, as they tend to have more/thicker elastic in them.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 13-Apr-17 23:15:31

What KP86 says smile

Unhappyhousehunting Thu 13-Apr-17 23:18:01

Boden pants are insanely expensive but a v good quality thick cotton and start in age 1.5 to 2. My 4.5 year old who is slim is currently in age 2-3 and they fit really well. I've also bought m&s pants in the past and pre shrunk them in the drier

skankingpiglet Tue 18-Apr-17 22:52:31

Thanks all smile

I shall try Primark first then as it's cheap and cheerful! Failing that I'll check out Boden. I don't have a drier to shrink things in unfortunately!

ThornyBird Tue 18-Apr-17 22:55:36

Dd2 (10) is a skinny malinky and wears girl boxers. They have a bit of a leg so the gapeyness isn't an issue as much. Not sure if they do them in little sizes though. She has them from a variety of shops - M&S, Asda, H&M and Sainsbury's.

skankingpiglet Tue 18-Apr-17 23:30:55

Oooo thanks, I shall research those too Thorny. I hadn't thought of boxers. She's a very girly girl (no idea why, she certainly didn't get it from me! I'm happiest when I look part-feral, she'd live in sparkly ball gowns if she could) who already knows her own mind, so there's no way she'd wear boy's pants: I can already hear the "No that's not pretty, I'm not wearing it"! I'm guessing girl boxers at least come in purple? Perhaps with a MLP or some flowers printed on them...? [hopeful]

Astro55 Tue 18-Apr-17 23:34:43

Look in primark for girls shorts style rather than standard knicker type cut. They fit so much better.

minipie Tue 18-Apr-17 23:44:36

H&M do girls' mini shorts style pants in various patterns and they fit my slim DD well. Their normal style pants also fit DD well, but I think the shorts style look comfier - wider elastic and obviously less likely to ride up.

BTW I have returned pants (unworn) several times - I quite often buy several packs for DD and we return the less liked ones

Semaphorically Tue 18-Apr-17 23:48:27

I agree re the shorts style being a better fit. Most of DDs are from H&M and they are washing well and holding their shape without gaping around the legs. The ones I got from M&S didn't last at all.

ThornyBird Wed 19-Apr-17 22:43:58

Girl boxers/shorts come in lots of colours - we have white, pink, purple, red and navy... Stripes, spots, flowers, plain... smile

ThornyBird Wed 19-Apr-17 22:47:26

Just found some at Next - grey with unicorns from age 3 upwards...

liquidrevolution Thu 20-Apr-17 15:08:49

My DD rocks her Mothercare Supergirl shortie pants although at 2.9 she only just fits the 18-24 around the waist. They are £2 in the sale
Supergirl

Floral

I found matalan are fine as well. Prewashing helps.

skankingpiglet Thu 20-Apr-17 21:33:25

Excellent, thank you everyone. I've got some shopping planned for the weekend! The Next ones look lovely (actually fairly tasteful for something printed with unicorns), and I've spotted H&M do some MLP ones hell will freeze over before I tell her about the Disney princess set though. She'd like the floral liquid too...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now