Talk

Advanced search

Demand feeding-Please help.

(29 Posts)
summerfling Tue 11-Apr-17 16:38:24

My 15 day old is fed on demand (advice from midwives due to jaundice).

Jaundice is now sorted however he eats 3 ounces over 3 hours, not in 1 go.

As soon as he's finished, he's crying for his next bottle. Please help me!

summerfling Tue 11-Apr-17 17:28:49

How do I get him into a bit of a routine so I'm not up at all hours of the night.

arbrighton Tue 11-Apr-17 19:35:02

Time and patience, he's only tiny still

DarkestBeforeDawn Tue 11-Apr-17 19:38:19

I have twins who were bottle fed and once they left scbu (one week old) they were on a four hour schedule. I believe the nurses got them there by slowly stretching the times between each feed out by 5 minutes or so every time. However, I have since had two more DC and they were breastfed. The first was fed every three hours from the start with no issues but my last fed all the time at the start. And I mean all the time!! In the first month he would be on my breast almost continuously. I tried to space his feeds but it just didn't work until he got to about 6 weeks old and then naturally didn't demand feeding as often. I think what I'm trying to say here is that every baby is different. But I promise you, give it a few weeks of sleepless hell and it will slowly start to get better.

lightcola Tue 11-Apr-17 19:44:19

My baby was the same. Just go with it. Her bottles evened out around 6/7 weeks old. She's now 5 bottles of 6 oz between 7-7. I'm a big believer on feeding on demand. The clever little things sort themselves out.

FizzyFeet Tue 11-Apr-17 19:55:35

Is it possible he is sucking on the bottle teat for comfort? You could experiment with using a dummy to see if it's just that he wants to suck something.

Is he falling asleep on the bottle a lot? It might be that he's finding the flow too slow and it's tiring him out. You could try going up a teat size perhaps. (I found that the age guidance on the teats was wildly out of kilter for my DD and she was always ready for the next size way before the recommendations.)

summerfling Tue 11-Apr-17 20:02:37

He's had a dummy since day one as NICU gave him one.

He's had one since, most times does well with taking it.

However, he wakes up & literally cried straight away.

He has periods where he's asleep & just wakes up crying?? What's that about??

summerfling Tue 11-Apr-17 20:03:34

Oh & yeah he does fall asleep on the bottle a lot, he was having size 2 teats but was choking a lot so put him back to size 1.

yikesanotherbooboo Tue 11-Apr-17 20:13:52

If he is well I would think that it is way too early to worry about feeding too often... baby is tiny tiny and was cooped up inside you with a constant supply of glucose very recently... he will settle over time ; get stronger etc. Look at the ither babies you know( not as a comparison) to see that they all end up feeding more effectively and gradually space out their days with sleep food and play

summerfling Tue 11-Apr-17 20:25:25

He was 2.6 weeks early, as I was induced.

He didn't lose any weight after birth, has only consistently put on weight.

He's on Mamia, which he seems to be doing well on, changed from SMA as he struggled with wind & constipation.

So I've nothing to worry about?? In time he'll feed more regularly??

waterrat Tue 11-Apr-17 21:16:39

He is tiny. Its normal! Mine were breastfed but fed constantly remember his stomach is absolutely tiny. I think a newborn tummy holds teaspoon of milk at a time. Humans are mammals designed to feed very little amounts very frequently and be constantly near the milk source for the first weeks and indeed months. Its not natural for baby to go hours between feeds at this stage

It is absolutely exhausting but if you are le feeding can someone else help so you can rest?

waterrat Tue 11-Apr-17 21:17:58

Just to rreassure you. Yes they do all settle into an easier pattern eventually! I would assume frequent feeds fir first six weeks at least

summerfling Tue 11-Apr-17 22:04:53

Right, just so I know a rough guide of time! I know it's only been 15 days but I feel like it's Groundhog Day!

He fell asleep so I brought him up to bed an hour ago, he woke, I gave him a bottle & he fell back to sleep.

🤞 il get a couple of hours sleep!!

Camomila Tue 11-Apr-17 22:35:29

Totally normal but exhausting!

DS had jaundice too and I was told to wake and feed every 2 hours day and night for the first either 2 or 3 weeks. He was ebf so no one else could help. I was like a zombie by the end of it.

Hopefully it'll only be another week or 2 before he goes longer at night. I remember by the time DS was about a month old he was definitely doing at 3-4h chunk of uninetupted sleep at night.

summerfling Tue 11-Apr-17 22:41:05

It's been an hour & 40 minutes & im feeding DS again, although he really isn't actually having a bottle, he's just snacking! 1-2ounces at most each time.

Anditstartsagain Wed 12-Apr-17 14:35:18

Both mine were grazers to start with i slowly stretched out feedings and changed their nappies to wake then once they started to fall over. They both fed every 2/3 hours untol 3 months then i started stretching the time again.

It is normal but hard work its ok to try to make things easier for yourself.

summerfling Wed 12-Apr-17 16:25:53

I'm seriously starting to wonder if this is actually normal.

He had 2 ounces at 13:30pm

By 14:30 he's wanting more, managed to stretch to 15:15, he had another ounce, then half hour later he started crying for more.

He's finally asleep however as soon as he wakes, he'll want more.

I can't take it! He's just constantly eating! He's getting stomach ache from being overfed!!

BertrandRussell Wed 12-Apr-17 16:30:13

" can't take it! He's just constantly eating! He's getting stomach ache from being overfed!!"

Honestly, he isn't-that'just what newborns are like. Is there someone else who can take him for a bit so you can have a break?

QforCucumber Wed 12-Apr-17 18:51:07

Their stomachs grow from the size of a grape to that of an apple in the first few months - he gets full very quickly.
If he's waking crying it may be cuddles not food too, he still wont realise he's not a part of you and all that space can be scary for him.

lightcola Thu 13-Apr-17 07:42:21

If he was breast fed you would just feed as he asks. But because with bottles you can see what he's drinking. It's like a constant growth spurt at this age. It is frustrating and tiring and a waste of expensive formula but it is all very normal. As I said previously my early baby did the same until 6/7 weeks old.

summerfling Thu 13-Apr-17 08:20:07

I'm just worried I'm over feeding him & am the reason he's got stomach ache.

I'm not fussed about wasting formula or how much it costs, I only care about him & don't want to cause any discomfort

BertrandRussell Thu 13-Apr-17 12:01:26

You're not overfeeding him. Just feed when he asks- it will sort itself out soon.

lightcola Thu 13-Apr-17 13:14:29

Babies aren't greedy. He will eat what he needs. Could the tummy ache be wind? Do you get his wind up ok? Try infacol before every feed.

GreenGoblin0 Thu 13-Apr-17 17:42:54

he's not even at his due date yet. in time he will take more at each feed and go longer in between. for now you need to go with him.

summerfling Thu 13-Apr-17 20:44:00

Since 1am this morning, he's had 19.5 ounces.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now