Talk

Advanced search

Car seats........

(11 Posts)
user1474320794 Tue 11-Apr-17 15:53:10

Slightly confused about all the new laws on car seats.. baby is 8 months and currently in 0-9kg one which I think will do her at least for another few months but started to look to buy her the next one and am I right in thinking I still need a rear facing one when she moves to the next one? And all the ones I have seen on mothercare app are £400-£500 (including the base) is this the normal price range?..

dementedpixie Tue 11-Apr-17 15:55:07

Are you sure your current one doesn't go up to 13kg?

Nellooo Tue 11-Apr-17 16:07:46

We've just moved DS2, 8 months old, up to this one. It seems nice and comfy and didn't break the bank.

http://www.britax.co.uk/car-seats/first-class-plus/

FurryElephant Tue 11-Apr-17 16:21:42

She will need a rear facing one yes smilethere's a Joie one that's quite cheap I believe! Apparently seatbelted ones are no safer than one properly installed with a seat belt. Are you on Facebook? There's a great group called "car seat advice for mummies and daddies!" They give great advice and can recommend car seats most appropriate based on age/height/budget/car type etc smile

user1474320794 Tue 11-Apr-17 16:36:46

The one I've got is seat belted in? Does that mean that it is not legal? Yeah pretty sure it is only up to 9kg maybe I should check, it's one I've previously used for older sibling

dementedpixie Tue 11-Apr-17 16:39:54

Of course it's legal. Most infant carriers do up to 13kg and the forward facing seats do from 9kg. (Weight based seats rather than the newer iSize seats). Think pp may have meant isofix

FurryElephant Tue 11-Apr-17 16:49:45

Oh sorry I did mean isofix blushbut yes belt or base are just as safe! Sorry if you panicked blush

Nellooo Tue 11-Apr-17 21:55:35

The britax one I linked to is belted in and can face backwards or forwards. There are lots like this. Maybe look at the Which or Kiddicare websites for more info.

Heirhelp Wed 12-Apr-17 21:50:36

The height/length of your baby is also important. My tall DD out grew her at seat at 6 months.

Acorncat Thu 13-Apr-17 19:04:42

It's 5 times safer to rear face until 4 years old. They should be a lot cheaper than £500 though! The Joie ones are cheap. Mothercare don't have the best range, I got mine from Securatot, or the In Car Safety website has lots

podrig Thu 13-Apr-17 19:30:36

Ask mamas and papas they were brilliant. Made a v complicated task much easier!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now