Talk

Advanced search

Flying with an ear infection....

(4 Posts)
Writerwannabe83 Sun 09-Apr-17 20:46:31

Seriously panicking!!

My DS (he has just turned 3) hasn't been well since about 10pm last night, in fact he barely had about 4 hours sleep last night because he was up and crying constantly.

Today he's been consistently burning up, not wanting to eat and saying his ear hurts and getting distressed if I go near it.

I've just noticed on his pillow when I put him to bed that there are some circular fluid stains on it as though he was having some discharge from his ears last night.

I've told DH to take DS to the GP tomorrow but everything I've read says that children with ear infections are advised not to fly due to the pain it will cause them and the risk of the ear drum rupturing and we are all due to fly out to Spain on Tuesday!!

I don't know what to do!!

Has anyone else ever been in this situation?

letsmargaritatime Sun 09-Apr-17 21:10:28

I have been in this situation. Flying with an outer ear infection (most likely what it is) presents no risk. If it is a middle ear infection then it's unlikely he can fly without risking a lot of pain, and possible long term damage. So get him to the docs asap as only they can tell. If it is middl ear then just maybe you can get the antibiotics in soon enough to fly. Either way it should be covered on your travel insurance if you have to fly out a day or two later. Good lucksmile

Writerwannabe83 Sun 09-Apr-17 21:12:44

Thank you flowers

My DH will take him to the GP first thing in the morning.

DH has said that if it comes to it, I can just fly out on Tuesday as planned and then he will fly out with DS in a few days time when he's better.

cheesemumma Mon 01-May-17 00:23:59

I flew with blocked sinuses once. It was pure agony, o cried and rocked on landing and I'll never do it again. I wouldn't advise it for your baby. Sorry.

Yeah hopefully the GP will sort the problem before you go! Good luck hope he feels better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now