Talk

Advanced search

Is this normal toddler behaviour or?

(6 Posts)
ironmanslady Sun 09-Apr-17 17:54:17

I'm not sure if my DS had a hearing problem or not. He's 2.5 and his speech is really good but most things we say to him are followed by 'what/huh' (we're working on pardon). Not sure if he can't hear what we're saying clearly or he doesn't understand. Also if he's facing the other way most of the time he won't turn around at all, but this could just be that he's just ignoring us.
I hadn't thought anything odd until today when my DH suggested getting his ears tested and said that his hearing was also rubbish at Ds's age and he had to have grommets.
Is this just a normal toddler reaction or should I get his ears tested?

Trb17 Sun 09-Apr-17 18:08:08

Try whispering to offer him sweets or chocolate when he's not looking at you. That soon taught me my child was just selective in what she heard!

Do get him checked though if you have concerns.

Mamabear468 Sun 09-Apr-17 18:09:19

Hey, I'd personally take the approach that you haven't lost anything by getting his ears checked out. It's not going to hurt him and if they say all good you know he's just being stubborn by not turning round to you. If they identify an issue then I with any luck it can be dealt with and make life easier for all of you. I'm surprised the HV didn't suggest having them checked if there is a family history of childhood hearing issues. My dd is the same age and​ has just had her hearing tested due to her lack of speech. They can't always tell you anything the first time you go as it depends how cooperative our DC is on the day so it might take more than 1 appointment. Good luck with whatever you decide smile

ironmanslady Sun 09-Apr-17 19:49:31

Thank you, I'll try the chocolate one tomorrow. I probably will end up getting his ears tested just so they can reassure me either way. My HV is lovely don't get me wrong, but useless I haven't seen her in forever she doesn't answer calls etc.

user1471453601 Sun 09-Apr-17 20:00:12

Another one for getting him tested. I lost much of my hearing later in life. But it's the lower range of loss so testing with whispering May not work.

In my case, I've lost my lowers range. My upper ranges is ok.

Funny storey, I told this to my Mum. I said, so I hear high pitched, usually female voices better than men's, usually lower voices. Mum said well that's ok, I've never known you listen to a man in your life

FartnissEverbeans Mon 10-Apr-17 13:49:37

Sounds like my DH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now