Talk

Advanced search

2 week old with colic?? Losing the will to live

(43 Posts)
summerfling Sun 09-Apr-17 07:43:27

Someone please help, I'm seriously close to throwing myself off the next available bridge.

My baby who is 2 weeks old has been screaming on and off sonde yesterday afternoon.

He will sleep but no more than a few minutes.

I've swaddled him
Changed his bum
Changed his clothes
Given him a bottle (FF-SMA)

He literally screams, I've had no sleep & im becoming emotionally drained.

Please help me!!

NameChange30 Sun 09-Apr-17 07:49:38

Oh dear flowers for you.
I have no experience myself but I've heard that the Cocoonababy is great for babies with colic. Expensive but could be worth a try?
You could also experiment with different types of formula in case he has any allergies or intolerances and there is one which suits him better?
Do you have a partner and if so is he doing his share so you can have a break? Do you have family who could help?

NameChange30 Sun 09-Apr-17 07:57:31

You might find some of the tips on this thread useful?
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/parenting/2851886-Coping-with-Colic

milkjetmum Sun 09-Apr-17 07:57:57

Colic is awful. With dd1 we found slings, an electric rocker and dummies helped. We used Infacol with every feed, and Gripe water between feeds.

With hindsight she had tongue tie so was probably swallowing air more than most (do you hear clicking when feeding?) and later in life had lactose intolerance, so colief might be worth a try.

If you have a partner or friend who will come round take the time to rest and recharge for the next time. We used to invite friends over and hand them dd1 and tell them to walk around with her talking to her (this seemed to distract her).

duxb Sun 09-Apr-17 07:58:25

So sorry OP.
Yes babies can get colic from two weeks, it's early but it happens.

My DD got it from that age and it was horrendous. Just work through the stages and fjnd the thing that calms them the most. Then shift pattern it so you are least getting a few hours sleep.

The mistake I made was letting mum guilt kick in and if I heard her crying when my DH had her, I'd get up. Once I realised that with colic, often nothing helps for periods of time I learnt that putting headphones in for an hour or so whilst DH had her and getting some sleep in the evening did wonders for getting through the night.

Coleif as first option (you can buy it over counter but it's quite pricey, the doctor will prescribe it too). Or infacol.

Then when baby is older, they can have gripe water.

Are you BF or FF?

Be sure to rule out reflux or silent reflux before diving into the colic route.

Can you burp your baby okay? Do they spit up a lot?

MrsChopper Sun 09-Apr-17 08:03:21

If this wasn't a one off it is possible it may be colic. But it could also be reflux or an intolerance. I would see your GP about it. They can prescribe Colief which I found to be the best.

If you are using formula you could have a word with your HV, they may recommend another formula. Just beware that swapping formula can also be upsetting for baby's tummy.

Also look up colic massage on youtube for instructions. That can make a huge difference.

summerfling Sun 09-Apr-17 08:16:40

I'm assuming it's colic but I don't have a bloody clue.

Partner isn't around, I only get help from my mum & she's asleep.

He's currently in his electric rocker...I'm trying not to fall asleep but right now it's the hardest thing to do.

summerfling Sun 09-Apr-17 08:21:52

Now back in his basket, honestly im not coping with the lack of sleep

NameChange30 Sun 09-Apr-17 08:24:09

I think you should talk to your HV and take him to the GP.

PotteringAlong Sun 09-Apr-17 08:27:29

Wake up your mum. She needs to put him in the pram and go for a two hour walk so you can sleep.

Worry about anything after 11am today after that.

MrsChopper Sun 09-Apr-17 08:31:47

Sleep deprivation is awful but you will get used to disturbed nights (even if it doesn't feel like it right now). Your body is still adjusting to your new life.

And remember if baby cries a lot and you've tried the usual (feed, burps, nappy, cuddles...) and it gets too much put baby in a safe place and go and have 5 minutes. Not far away from baby of course but maybe put the kettle on for example.

MrsChopper Sun 09-Apr-17 08:33:33

Also you could try a bit of skin to skin with baby. They love that! They still have to adjust to life outside the tummy but find mother's heart beat reassuring!

Fluffybrain Sun 09-Apr-17 08:49:59

Call your midwife/health visitor. See your GP. You need aproper rest too. Leave baby with your mum and go and rest somewhere where you cannot hear them cry.

SecretNortherner Sun 09-Apr-17 08:55:43

Infacol. Give baby a drop before each bottle.

divadee Sun 09-Apr-17 08:57:30

We had a baby like this from 3 days old. We thought it was colic. Turned out to be severe silent reflux. We were literally broken people by the time she was 7 weeks (she is now 10 weeks old) and we got some ranitidine from the Drs. She is now like a different baby. She still has moments of screaming in pain which is normally when her dose needs increasing as her weight has. They will probably start you on gaviscon which hasn't really worked for us but it does work for some people. It does thicken the milk a bit so that does help. Also we changed to hipp organic milk and that does seem gentler on her.

Oblomov17 Sun 09-Apr-17 08:59:13

Poor you. Ds2 screamed all night, off and on. Drove me to despair. You have my every sympathy.

LittleCandle Sun 09-Apr-17 09:00:53

My cousin's baby screamed non stop and it was silent reflux. They found a tummy tub was the key to soothing him. I have no idea why they work, but i now know loads of people who swear by it. It might also be worth getting one to see if it helps.

summerfling Sun 09-Apr-17 09:21:08

Just called out of hours.

Waiting for an app, my mum thinks he's constipated but he did manage to go quite a bit yesterday so I don't quite understand!

Please help me, I'd happily clean a ton of shit up if I could get him to go.

summerfling Sun 09-Apr-17 09:44:58

Would I be unreasonable as to change his formula to dairy free??

MrsChopper Sun 09-Apr-17 09:46:43

What was his poop like though? The fact he had a poop within the last 24 hours makes me think it's not necessarily constipation. Their poop ends up very tough, sort of like clay.

It could be trapped wind which can be very painful. Look up colic massage on youtube and have a go. A lot of the movements are designed to relieve wind and he may feel much better afterwards.

MrsChopper Sun 09-Apr-17 09:47:49

I wouldn't change his formula to dairy free unless you have been advised to do so by a GP.

Alicekeach Sun 09-Apr-17 09:52:40

Try colief, it was the only thing that worked for us. It breaks down the lactose in the formula and makes it easier on the baby's tummy. It's expensive, but if it works you can ask the GP to put it on prescription.

Alicekeach Sun 09-Apr-17 09:53:23

It also made our baby poo much more frequently!

Sostenueto Sun 09-Apr-17 09:59:52

Try changing to goats milk, it may help.

summerfling Sun 09-Apr-17 10:06:23

The thing is, I didn't want my son on dairy products, dairy has caused nothing but issues in my family.

I wanted to EBF, then he went into NICU. & needed feeding so was given cow & gate.

I always planned to give him oat milk when he was old enough as none of my family can stomach dairy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now