Talk

Advanced search

Probiotics and reflux

(27 Posts)
sphinxster Sat 08-Apr-17 10:07:44

DD (7 weeks) had a week in hospital and IV antibiotics a couple of weeks ago. Since then she's suffered awful reflux for which she's been prescribed gaviscon but it's only improving it slightly.
The poor thing is in pain and is constantly grunty/whiney and flinching, and vomiting. Any burp is painful to her. She had to be upright all the time and even that doesn't help. It's awful to see her in pain.

We're going back to our gp on Thursday but the last three days & nights have been terrible for her. So I consulted dr Google and there's stuff online about probiotics.

Does anyone know anything about probiotics and reflux and giving it to infants?

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 08-Apr-17 10:46:26

Don't know much about probiotics for babies sorry. Was the infection gastric? If so, maybe she could be suffering from a temporary milk allergy?

Diamondsandpears Sat 08-Apr-17 10:49:07

Worth discussing with your GP. Some brands are sold for babies but not sure how young or how you administer them.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 08-Apr-17 10:53:26

I'd also go back to the GP tomorrow. There are much better anti reflux meds available than gaviscon.

Is she still under a Paed?

divadee Sat 08-Apr-17 10:53:55

We have a 10 week old with severe reflux. We are using gaviscon and ranitidine (we had to fight for 7 weeks to get the ranitidine though). In desperation we started on baby probiotics and it's 5 drops in her formula in the morning. I don't know if it really works or not but I'm sure like us you would literally try anything to stop the constant screaming and seeing your little one in pain.

We use BioGaia probiotics for babies.

sphinxster Sat 08-Apr-17 11:02:31

It was a GI infection she was in hospital for so that might be worth talking to the GP about.

I can see if I can speak to the GP on Monday, they're good with telephone consultations.

Yeah, I'm in tears watching her in so much pain and I can't do anything! It's awful. I looked at biogaia as its the only one with l. reuteri and that's the one that I can find an evidence base for.

divadee Sat 08-Apr-17 11:14:09

My reasoning to myself was it won't do any harm and it may help. I know it's expensive but could be worth a go. Anything is worth a go stop the pain.

Curlyone123 Sat 08-Apr-17 11:16:38

My son has reflux and it is awful to watch. Insist on ranitidine and if that doesn't work then ask for Omeprazole. I also took my son to a cranial osteopath which helped. Good luck

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 08-Apr-17 11:19:52

If she's in a lot of pain, please film it so that you can show the GP. Have a read of this from Great Ormond St as it explains a bit about secondary Lactose intolerance.

If you are Bfing I'd cut out all dairy, if you are ff as for a tin Lactose free formula to see if things improve. You may be able to buy some this weekend, have a look here.

I'd really push for a Paed appointment too.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 08-Apr-17 11:21:15

My reasoning to myself was it won't do any harm and it may help. I know it's expensive but could be worth a go. Anything is worth a go stop the pain. absolutely no harm in trying.

Marley45 Sat 08-Apr-17 11:30:05

I had antibiotics in labour with my now 8 week old. He is very windy so I've started taking probiotics. I'm breastfeeding but they can be given directly to babies. Bear with me while I find the name of the ones I've got. They were recommended by a chiropractor.

sphinxster Sat 08-Apr-17 11:30:51

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I'll try anything to take the pain away, I don't care what it costs. Poor little thing has had a shit time of it.

I was going to try the aptimil anti-reflux formula but I need to get a bigger teat size for it as its so thick.

Good idea about filming it. I'll definitely speak to the GP on Monday.

Marley45 Sat 08-Apr-17 11:31:10

Bio Kult Infantis

sphinxster Sat 08-Apr-17 11:31:27

Thank you.

Abby21 Sat 08-Apr-17 18:48:13

We used biogaia at that age x

Jemimapiddleduck Sat 08-Apr-17 18:49:48

Probiotics and quitting part were literally life changers for our son in very similar circumstances

Jemimapiddleduck Sat 08-Apr-17 18:49:59

Part = dairy

sphinxster Sun 09-Apr-17 08:56:26

That's good to know.

We tried the anti-reflux formula last night and she was so much better - not great but seemed in a lot less pain and actually slept peacefully from 5-8 (propped upright on DH).

We ordered the biogaia probiotics so hopefully they'll be delivered soon.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 09-Apr-17 17:55:12

How is she this evening @sphinxster?

sphinxster Mon 10-Apr-17 11:25:23

Thanks for asking smile
She's a lot more comfortable on the anti-reflux formula. It's so thick it's an effort to get it down but you can see why it stays down!
I'm getting a call back from the GP later so hopefully he/she will be helpful.

sphinxster Tue 18-Apr-17 04:16:40

I just thought I'd update incase it helps anyone else...

GP prescribed omeprazole but no pharmacists around here stock it and it had to be ordered in. Unfortunately, due to the Easter weekend, we still don't have it!! I asked about using the probiotic and our GP said that she would definitely advise a probiotic for an adult but they're not licensed for children so she couldn't advise. I asked her if that means I should stay away from it and she said no, it shouldn't hurt if it's been formulated for babies. GP also said to come off the omeprazole in a few weeks and if the reflux returns we can look at lactose intolerance.

DD has now been on gaviscon for almost two weeks - we'll stop this once the omeprazole is here. She's also been on probiotics and reflux formula for one week. She is a much happier baby. We still need to keep her upright and burp her lots during feeds but she's barely vomiting, she's not screaming in pain, her nappies have stopped exploding, she just seems much more content.

I have no idea if it's the probiotic or the reflux formula but something is helping smilesmile

Marley45 Tue 18-Apr-17 04:38:02

That's great news! I'm glad she's more comfortable.

sphinxster Wed 19-Apr-17 20:29:05

Omeprazole is amazing!! After two doses I have a different baby. smile

Anyone with a refluxy baby should definitely see their GP for this magical potion!

momofhadi Fri 21-Apr-17 18:03:48

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

sphinxster Sat 22-Apr-17 05:15:48

That's great, momo. It's awful seeing them in so much pain, reflux is a bastard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now