Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Potty recommendations for a girl

(12 Posts)
CurlieSue Thu 06-Apr-17 21:02:40

Hi, I posted this in 'Potty Training' but thought I might get more of a response here and would be grateful for any replies.

I have a 21 month old daughter. She has literally just started walking unaided, but is still quite wobbly (she's later than most to walk, but she is also bigger than average which could make it more difficult to balance).In the last week she has started pointing to her nappy, which I took as a sign she might be ready to start potty training. I bought her a standard potty from Boots. Tonight, I showed it to her, I sat on it myself (making sure I didn't break it with my weight!), I showed her some videos on YouTube of other children on the potty, but she seems to hate it and every time I put it near her, she put up her hand and said 'no'. I'm wondering whether she isn't ready for potty training or whether she just doesn't like this particular potty. I don't want to postpone the potty training just yet without trying a different potty. I wondered if any of you could recommend a potty that children seem to really like? Thank you.

MrsLettuce Thu 06-Apr-17 21:15:12

TBH you'd probably be better off getting a toilet seat, she'll be used to you using the toilet whilst a potty is a strange, alien concept. This sort are great and totally stable. A lot of people seem just go with the plastic ones that you pop on top of the adult seat but they're a bit of a faff and often not that stable.

On a side note, this book is fantastic, a real classic.

Littlelegs95 Thu 06-Apr-17 21:18:06

I think a small toilet seat would be better! She sees that you use the toilet and she'll hopefully use that too! (Of course with her little seat)
Cut out the training of the potty then the training on to the loo seat

beckslovestimmy Thu 06-Apr-17 21:22:42

My DD stuck lots of stickers on a basic potty from wilko's to make it her own. She did mainly use the toilet (with a child seat) once shed mastered that she would occasionally use the potty. We had a potty book that I think helped too.

blondiebonce Thu 06-Apr-17 21:33:38

Got DD a Pourty which we find great! So easy to empty etc. Left it in the corner for a few months so it wasn't "new". Potty trained just before Christmas with help from nursery where a lot of her friends were using it so she knew what to do and wanted to copy. For a while she wanted to take her own potty to nursery for familiarity I guess. I sat down with her one night to stick (fucking) Peppa Pig stickers on so it was extra "special". Once confident she started trying the toilet seats which she swaps between with her.
For actual "training tips" I tried pull ups and asking her to tell me/nursery staff. Nursery suggested going cold turkey and just sending her in wearing "knick Knicks". It prompted her to copy her friends with no back up and bar the odd accident she's dry.
She's 3 in the summer.
Obviously different children take to it differently but this is what I found worked.

blondiebonce Thu 06-Apr-17 21:35:51

Oh and I got her a personalised (fucking) Peppa sticker chart. Each time she'd fill a line (sticker each turn on the potty) we'd go to the local book shop to choose a book for a couple of quid.

curlyLJ Thu 06-Apr-17 21:46:01

It doesn't sound like she is ready, she is still quite young. Most children don't train until 2.5 at the earliest. I would suggest you just leave it sitting around, ask her if she wants to use the toilet/potty occasionally but don't push her and she will just do it when she is ready.

In my experience, if you push them into it before they are ready you are setting yourself up for months of issues. I had this with DD1 and continued to push it, she got the weeing within a couple of weeks I think, but she started to withhold her poo. That nightmare went on for 18+ months as she still has issues to this day (she's now 7).

My DD2 has just trained herself at 2.10 - yes it was later than I would have liked, but one day she just asked for knickers instead of nappy and she was completely dry and clean within 3 days. She is also night dry straight away, whereas DD1 stayed in night nappies until nearly 4.

CurlieSue Thu 06-Apr-17 22:27:51

Thank you all so much for your advice. I'm a bit worried now that by showing my daughter the potty before she is ready, that she might now be anxious about potty training. I hope I'm being over sensitive!

Gillian1980 Thu 06-Apr-17 23:53:18

Last week I bought a load of basic potties as I saw them reduced to 50p in a shop.

I've put one in bedroom, 1 in bathroom and 1 in living room. I told dd (20m) that it's for wee wee and poo which she laughed at. Then I just left them and haven't mentioned them since.

Dd has been wearing them as hats, sitting on them as a chair, putting toys in them..... occasionally saying "wee wee" and laughing.

I'm not sure when we'll try to start potty training but I'm hoping she'll find them familiar enough by then.

teaandbiscuitsforme Fri 07-Apr-17 07:33:09

We just got IKEA toilet seats and potties. Trained DD at 22 months and at this age you do have to do more teaching rather than just point them in the direction of potty and let them go. We used the Oh Crap method which was great (it recommends training between 20 and 30 months).

You'd need to pick a week when you're off if you work and really go for it rather than being a bit halfhearted but no nappies on DD has been so worth it!

Redyellowpinkblue Fri 07-Apr-17 07:57:41

We also found bargain basement potties when dd1 was about 1.5 and we just put them in the living room, bathroom and her room so they weren't alien to her. She occasionally sat on them fully clothed and sometimes if I was playing with her I would pop teddy or dolly on the potty and say wee week or poo poo.
We didn't push anything, we were very relaxed about it all, she switched to pull ups at 2 and she had some pairs of big girl pants that id show her occasionally and we often spoke about being a big girl and doing wee's in the potty and wearing big girl pants to nursery. In the end, at 3 years exactly, one morning she just asked me for the big girl pants instead of pull ups when we were getting ready for nursery and from that day forward she's used the potty with minimal accidents (she's very small in stature and feels a bit swamped on a toilet- even using a child's seat but again I'm not pushing it). She was dry virtually straight away during the day but it took about 3 months of me being sure there was no overnight wee's in her pull up before she was dry at night and she is 3.5 now and only ever wet the bed once overnight. So in our experience id say child led worked for us, she was ready when she was ready.

Cornishblues Fri 07-Apr-17 08:47:09

I think it's best just to go for basic potties rather than risk getting into 'I'm not going in that, I'll only go on the red potty' scenario. Highly recommend those extra loo seats though, and they're useful for a long time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now