Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Small age gaps

(11 Posts)
Eeeeek2 Thu 06-Apr-17 08:59:21

Pregnant with no.2 oldest will be 13 months. It took so long to conceive our first we let nature take its course grin blush

Any tips? I'm expecting the first few months to be a bit crazy but what will make things as smooth as possible?

Thanks

Turneeps Thu 06-Apr-17 17:38:45

Congratulations!! My 2nd baby due in summer with a 14month age gap.
Advice i have been given is...
Be prepared to be knackered for the first year.
Break any bad habits with no. 1 now (eg sleeping on you).

Hope you are less scared than me!!

Whirltime Thu 06-Apr-17 17:42:54

My 2 youngest have a 13 month age gap. Everyone told me how brave I must be witch made me think I was in for something out of some horror movie. Turned out not so bad at all. It was exhausting at times but having a baby is. Mine are 2 and 3 now and it's definitely been a blessing having them close in age they get on brilliantly and have an amazing bond don't get me wrong they fight too no where near as much as they do with their older siblings though. I love watching them help each other to learn.

Matildatoldsuchdreadfullies Thu 06-Apr-17 17:46:29

15 month age gap (followed by a 19 month gap). They rarely fight, and are incredibly close (they're now 16, 15 and 13).

It's tiring, but gets the hard core baby caring stuff out the way in one go. And I think it avoids a fair amount of jealously, because the older child doesn't really remember life before baby.

Good luck. It will work out. Honestly.

Sewingbeatshousework Thu 06-Apr-17 17:48:07

My sister has just turned 12 months old when by twin brothers were born. And I was only 3 😳

She actually said it was easier than the 2 year gap between my & sister as nap times and routines were very similar. Routine & organisation seems to be key.

Congrats and it'll be lovely when they are a bit bigger and so close in age 😊

Chattycat78 Thu 06-Apr-17 17:51:59

I'm 10 months into a 17 month age gap so slightly bigger than you'll have. I won't lie, it's been very tough. Make sure you have a sling and go to lots of playgroups to keep yourself sane!

I'm hoping it will bring easier when they are older and can play together!

beekeeper17 Thu 06-Apr-17 18:03:57

I'm in the same situation as you!! I found out a couple of weeks ago that I'm pregnant again and will have a 13 month age gap. Spent the first week crying lots and wondering how on earth I would cope, I just didn't feel ready to go back to being pregnant and having a newborn so soon. But I'm coming round to it now and I think whatever age gap you have will have its own challenges.

As we're both in our late thirties we decided that I wouldn't go back on the pill as we knew we wanted a second child if possible. If nothing had happened later in the year I was going to go back to all the ovulation testing and actively trying again but no, I got pregnant the month after my period came back!

Good luck!

Panicmode1 Thu 06-Apr-17 18:07:24

I have a fifteen month gap between my first two and although I don't remember much about the first year, it is lovely to see how close they are and how supportive of each other they are now (13 and 12).

Good luck - I had had SUCH a horrendous first labour that I thought if I thought too much about it I would never do it again, so we decided on a small gap (although even we hadn't quite figured it would be quite so small!).

Chattycat78 Thu 06-Apr-17 18:07:51

That's what happened to me too beekeeper- after taking a year (and ivf) to conceive the first babyconfused! I thought it would take ages or that we might need ivf again....

Eeeeek2 Thu 06-Apr-17 21:42:51

I'm slightly terrified not crying yet had horrendous complications after first birth and was touch and go for me for a day or 2. Baby was fine thankfully. Nothing that should be repeated this time just unlucky.

Also had a very fast labour until he got stuck! Arrived at hospital fully dilated 3 hours after first contraction, it's over an hour travelling distance. Slightly concerned that this one might arrive in a lay-by.

I'm going to need a double buggy right? Do I keep my single as well? Haven't got lots of room but think it might be useful to have the option to carry one and push single.

beekeeper17 Fri 07-Apr-17 12:52:37

Sorry that you had complications first time round. I guess the first time round you have no idea what to expect, and maybe second time round is worse as you know what's coming!! Although I know that every labour can be very different.

My pram is a single which can also be used as a double so I just need to buy the second seat for it. I think I'll also buy a cheaper stroller for single use. I'm hoping the grandparents will take my older one a day or two a week so will need a pushchair that they can use.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now