Talk

Advanced search

2nd birthday - family party or day out to the zoo/farm?

(11 Posts)
CaptainWarbeck Thu 06-Apr-17 08:15:04

I can't decide what to do for DS who's about to turn 2. We had a family tea party for his 1st birthday but it was all a bit overwhelming for him at that age, despite the adults having fun.

He loves animals at the moment and I wonder if a day out to the zoo and then lots of cake with me and DH would be something he'd actually enjoy more as a special treat, rather than lots of adults sitting around (mind you he would get to open presents with a party).

I don't want to be a spoilsport and have him miss out on a birthday party, does everyone do (even just family) parties at this age?

CaptainWarbeck Thu 06-Apr-17 11:49:19

Hopeful bump.

Purpleprickles Thu 06-Apr-17 11:59:26

We have given ds a party each year, started as just family and extended to friends as he got older. However he always loved the attention of it and I think the key is if you feel your ds will be overwhelmed by it then go for the day out which will be equally as lovely. Could you do a birthday tea on a another day with just the close family and some cake?

Purpleprickles Thu 06-Apr-17 12:00:28

Oh and I meant to say I don't think not having a party at 2 is missing out. I think once they get to school and lots of children have parties it's nice to do something, big or small, but not necessary at 2.

teaandbiscuitsforme Thu 06-Apr-17 12:57:47

We went to the zoo for DD's 2nd. No doubt we'll have a cake with family over the weekend but parties really aren't for us at this stage. Maybe next year when she'll have much more of an idea about what a birthday is!

justonesherryformedicinalpurpo Thu 06-Apr-17 16:10:20

It depends on your DC really. My friend has thrown a party for her son every year since he was born with great success. She sees a lot of her family often.

We on the other hand don't see family often enough and therefore having a party would be overwhelming for our DD.

I do find though that my friends parties aren't about the DC enough IMO. There aren't any children his age and he currently despises my DD 2 years younger than he. It was more abour hosting and making sure everyone was fed and had a drink with a few bubbles, a birthday cake of course and pass the parcel. Kids tv ended up being put on very quickly.

I think overall it depends on the relationship your DC has with those who would be invited. And if any other children are attending. My friends son enjoyed receiving gifts from everyone who turned up but then the fun was kind of over for him iyswim.

We went to the zoo for DDs 2nd birthday which was fun for us all and we had a lovely cake in the evening.

MrsPnut Thu 06-Apr-17 16:13:23

We moved house on DD2's first birthday and then again on her second birthday. I can't even remember whether she even got a cake tbh but I don't think she cared or would even have known what day it was.

I'd go to the zoo, have a lovely day and something special for dinner. It'll be more fun for him especially at this age.

Girlincognito1 Thu 06-Apr-17 16:24:51

I didn't start having parties for dd1 until she was 4. I was able to invite some of her preschool/toddler group friends. I only had about 5 friends because I wanted to start off small!

I will do the same for dd2. For dd1's 3rd birthday we went to the zoo. We went somewhere for her 2nd but can't remember! She's always had a separate family gathering. Dd2 had a family party for her 1st.

Mamabear468 Thu 06-Apr-17 17:01:53

We had a family BBQ for my Dd's 1st birthday​, but didn't plan a party for her 2nd cause having a party was more for the adults than her. We had planned a family day out for her 2nd, just me, dh & dd but she got ill right before hand. In the end we managed the local park with almost unlimited pushing on the swing and a picnic. But at the time the park was the thing she enjoyed the most so she had a great day despite it not sounding like much to other people.
I'd go with the fact it's your ds's birthday do what you think he would enjoy the most, not what you think you should do cake

ODog Sat 08-Apr-17 20:27:14

I have an easily overwhelmed DS. We did a big party for his 1st birthday (admittedly more for us) and he found it too much. 2nd birthday I had a 3 wk old and we had lunch and cake at my parents then off to the local petting farm. It was much better and we will do something similar for his 3rd birthday.

Floridasunset Sat 08-Apr-17 21:09:40

We went to the zoo for my dcs first birthday and then a party at the weekend for family and friends with children. Just lots of toys out for them to play with as too young for anything organised like party games. Dc had a great time playing with other babies and getting lots of attention but obviously wouldn't have known any different if we hadn't have had a party so wouldn't have been missing out.do whatever your dc will enjoy the most

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now