Talk

Advanced search

The change from 2 DC to 3?

(17 Posts)
MooPointCowsOpinion Wed 05-Apr-17 21:04:53

How hard was it adding a third child to your family?
How old were your two older children at the time?

What did you do about 3 car seats, 3 bedrooms, 3 sets of different needs/childcare arrangements/fees?

SweepTheHalls Wed 05-Apr-17 21:06:28

We did have to move house! Other than that it's been pretty smooth. She completed our family smile

MooPointCowsOpinion Wed 05-Apr-17 21:14:56

How old were your other two? That's nice to hear.

MooPointCowsOpinion Wed 05-Apr-17 21:56:00

I'm hoping there will be more posts here, as I am really fretting.

calimommy Thu 06-Apr-17 03:08:02

When are you expecting? I have two boys who will be 4&2 in July and baby due in august/Sep.

Sewingbeatshousework Thu 06-Apr-17 03:32:23

Mine are 8 & 10 and due no3 in July. Different for us as they don't use car seats & we have extra bedrooms & I don't work so don't need childcare. I do wonder how it's going to be on family outings/holidays when we have a 5 year old & 2 teens though...

My parents had 4dc under 4, they got a 7 seater & dm only went back to work when youngest were in school then relied on after school clubs & her parents for childcare. Me & dsis shared a room until we were 12 & 14 and my dbro's shared until they left for uni. We all turned out perfect 😁

Ding3kids Thu 06-Apr-17 11:00:26

I've got a 4 year old boy, 2 year old boy and 7 week old baby girl. We already have a 7 seater although the back 2 seats are permanently down to give us a massive boot. I have a double buggy, a buggy with buggy board and sling so have options when taking them out. They have a bedroom each although currently both boys share as bedtime they both want me to sit with them until they fall asleep so by sharing it's easier for me plus the other bedroom is a playroom.
I'm now stay at home after closing my self employed business so not sure about childcare. Eldest has the 15 free house and DS2 does 2 mornings with him as i think its good for him.
Haven't started cooking again yet, still using up frozen food I'd made during pregnancy.

SweepTheHalls Thu 06-Apr-17 18:19:55

DS's of 8 and 6, DD is now 15 months. We built up a decent slush in the childcare vouchers account, so the extra nursery bill is covered. I have actually kept her in her baby car seats that until grown out of rather than rushing to the next size, do still on th he one car seat for her, and we had already invested in a big car last time we changed the car. The bots absolutely dote on her. It is tough at times, and she has to lump going to activities aimed at the big ones that they never had to. We are mighty organised in the mornings that I work to drop off at child minders and nursery, but as long as everyone sticks to the plan it goes fine!

MooPointCowsOpinion Thu 06-Apr-17 18:40:14

Thanks, bigger cars and houses seem the norm then for 3 kids. I don't want to change my car or my house. Humph.

uhoh2016 Fri 07-Apr-17 12:15:14

3 boys here age 10 7 and 2. We only have 2 bedrooms but they are pretty large. We aren't moving all the boys share the larger room. We have 2 reception rooms 1 of which has virgin box Xbox and laptop in so the older boys can stay up later and have friends round when ds3 is in bed. We still have a 5 seater car but it's an MPV so 3 full size seats in the back.
Ds3 slotted into the routine we already had. trying to find days out that suit everyone is a bit tricky with the 8yr age gap

Beckyb1 Fri 07-Apr-17 12:19:50

3 boys. When 3rd ds was born I had a 4 year old and 2 year old. We bought a seven seater and now are looking to move house, I would be lost if I didn't have the third, he completed our family. At times its difficult but seeing them all get on and grow up playing together (even with the occasional bicker) is so worth it!!

calimommy Fri 07-Apr-17 18:10:01

becky I love reading that. So reassuring. Mine will be exactly that age gap, 4&2 in July, baby Aug/Sep. All boys!

M2R2 Fri 07-Apr-17 18:46:35

I am scared of that idea, i have a dd9 and dd 19 months and due in June.
We have a tiny 2 bed flat but not thinking of moving for another year.
My maternity leave will start soon by the time i need to go back to work dd2 will be 2 so have 15h free then i will pay what i am paying now for the baby. So I don't think much different regarding that ( i work part time btw)
I think the biggest challenge will be getting dd2 to accept she is not the baby anymore 😢

RedCrab Sat 08-Apr-17 15:41:55

Currently 41+1 with DC3! Due to be induced on Tuesday if she doesn't come before then. We have four year old DS and 2 year old DD. Sex wise it's worked out well - we live in a two bed flat and can't move for several years so they'll all have to share for a while but when we can move at least the two youngest as girls and can still share.

My son is excited and talks about the baby all the time but like M2R2 I think it'll be a challenge getting two year old DD to accept she's not the baby!

SlurplePurple Sun 09-Apr-17 21:01:36

I'm finding 2 to 3 much easier than 1 to 2 was.
Dd is 3, ds1 is 21 months and ds2 is 4 weeks.
We have a 7 seater but as a previous poster does we just use the extra seats as boot space for the double buggy.
Infant carrier and 2 Josie stages seats for the older 2.
We only have a 2 bed house but baby is in with us yet and we're hoping to move to a 3 bed this year when both boys will share a room until they move out most likely.
No childcare needed as I'm a sahm and activities I'm hoping will be fine as small age gaps. Dd does swimming and dancing already and ds1 has always been happy enough to tag along.
Honestly things just fell into place once the baby was here which I'm sure they will for you too.

SprogletsMum Sun 09-Apr-17 21:04:38

We had to move house when we had our 3rd. We were in a small 2 bed now we're in a medium 3 bed.
Car wise I've got a Ford focus. My dc are 8, 5 and 2 now though, they fit in fine. I'll be squeezing my 4th into there soon too. He wasn't planned and there's no spare cash for a bigger house or car this time around!
The biggest thing I found different going from 2 to 3 is the washing. I don't even know how that one extra person creates so much more washing but the amount I have to do is ridiculous.

AWorkingMum80 Sun 09-Apr-17 21:24:03

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now