Talk

Advanced search

Newborn baby sleeping all the time

(58 Posts)
Toobloodytired Wed 05-Apr-17 20:30:23

Now I'm not completely stupid, I know newborns sleep however guidelines state 16-17 hours a day but my baby is close to 24 hours!

He just sleeps ALL the time.

ButtMuncher Wed 05-Apr-17 20:33:11

How does he or she feed? I.e. Is baby asleep during feeds. Are you struggling to feed them at all?

MissClarke86 Wed 05-Apr-17 20:34:55

They can do this but just make sure you're waking to feed around every 3 hours. Strip them down, skin to skin, tickle behind ears, etc to keep them awake to get enough milk into them.

WellErrr Wed 05-Apr-17 20:34:55

Mine all did this. As long as they're feeding, pooing and weeing then it sounds normal.

justdontevenfuckingstart Wed 05-Apr-17 20:36:48

How newborn? DD1 slept right from the start, great. But got jaundice as wasn't feeding enough. Not to worry you, this was absolutely from the hour she was born. If later than this and they are sleeping then enjoy! Congratulations on your baby.

43percentburnt Wed 05-Apr-17 20:43:07

Dd had jaundice too and slept loads as she deteriorated. She was a lovely colour, you really couldnt tell from her skin or eyes. Sorry not to worry you but how old is your baby? Dd was fine until day 3 then her levels began to drop.

Hopefully your baby is just fine and likes his rest.

JimWithTwoNoses Wed 05-Apr-17 20:47:14

How old is he? Just days or are you a couple of weeks in?
Is he waking for feeds every 2-4 hours? I'd say it's pretty normal as long as he's waking for feeds and actually properly feeding, wet nappies etc
By week 4 they seem to wake up!
But agree if you are concerned see your HV as could easily be jaundice etc

BertieBotts Wed 05-Apr-17 20:49:38

They say not to look at how much they sleep but how much they are awake or how long they can stay awake for basically. Newborns don't stay awake for very long at all.

Is she alert when she's awake? What is midwife/health visitor saying?

Toobloodytired Wed 05-Apr-17 20:51:34

He's 9 days old today, he had jaundice as wasn't fed a great deal at birth due to complications.

I've managed to get his levels down but now he's just sleeping all the time.

Toobloodytired Wed 05-Apr-17 20:53:50

He doesn't wake for long at all.
He will cry for a feed but as soon as the bottle goes in his mouth he falls back to sleep & can take him an hour to finish his 2ounce bottle.

Wet nappies, poo'ing a lot (on my mum & my leg!)

He's very unsettled at night but I wouldn't say awake

BrianWong Wed 05-Apr-17 20:55:00

You need to ensure there are a good number (google approx how many) of wet or dirty nappies each 24 hr period and that the poo has turned to yellow/ orange. Then you know he is getting enough food. If nappies are dry you need to get help and advice ASAP.

Midwives/ health visitors are happy to be "bothered" in this situation. Bother them. Best to make sure.

BertieBotts Wed 05-Apr-17 20:56:16

Yes this isn't normal. Are you still under midwife care?

FATEdestiny Wed 05-Apr-17 20:58:26

Is baby back to birth weight and gaining?

BrianWong Wed 05-Apr-17 20:58:55

Cross post. Wet and dirty nappies is good. What about weight gain? Speak to professionals or find your local baby / breastfeeding group (doesn't matter that you bottle feed) and take him there. Often a midwife will be at the group and you can talk through your concerns.

I also had a constant sleeper. He wasn't getting enough food at first. We sorted it with help. He's 6 and eats like a horse now. grin

QuackDuckQuack Wed 05-Apr-17 21:05:12

My second did this - she slept at least 3 hours beyond the range that Google came up with. She also didn't drink the 'normal' amount for her age until she was a few weeks old. She took over 2 weeks to regain her birth weight despite being formula fed. However she was a very large baby, so she was thinning out from above the normal range to 50th centile. She was fine and just turns out to be a pretty good sleeper.

Of course you should get your DS checked out, but it is worth knowing that this can be fine.

JimWithTwoNoses Wed 05-Apr-17 21:12:17

I think you need to get this checked by midwife or doctor in that case. They definitely won't think you are wasting their time.

AnotherYellowBelly Wed 05-Apr-17 21:27:44

Dd was like this , would drain a bottle every 4 hours though before back to sleep! She still loves to sleep!
Ds was the opposite!

If you're worried speak to the health visitor/ gp?

Bubblysqueak Wed 05-Apr-17 21:31:50

My 2nd was lime this nut a little younger (3-4 days) we were taken back into hospital for a week as he wasn't feeding enough so blood sugar level was dropping too low which made it really difficult to wake him. Keep a close eye on weight loss and talk to midwife.

Toobloodytired Wed 05-Apr-17 21:42:40

His weight was 6lbs & he's been gaining since last Monday.

His jaundice levels were 263-233 & then 192.

He's no longer yellow, he wee'd all over my bed last night, he's poo'd over me & my mum.

His poo is bright yellow looks like a curry.

It's always wet when I change his nappy.

I've actually managed to keep him awake the last hour, decided to bath him to wake him up, in the hope it'll tire him out & he'll sleep tonight without constant wake ups

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Wed 05-Apr-17 21:47:32

If it continues I would get him checked out. When you explain that he sleeps all the time say exactly what you've said in your OP. It can be normal, but sometimes it isn't. It wasn't for my DS and was linked to a serious underlying medical condition (very rare, don't want to worry you).

Good that he's been awake the last hour, hopefully he'll start perking up a bit over the next few days.

Was be born at term?

WidowTwonky Wed 05-Apr-17 22:24:17

My youngest was like this and I posted an identical thread more than 6 years ago. He still enjoys his sleep now, but all was fine

JimWithTwoNoses Wed 05-Apr-17 22:29:41

While you are waiting to see someone about this you could try putting a bit of milk into a syringe and squirting it gradually into the side of his mouth at the start of the feed. Might wake him up enough to take more of the feed. Obvs don't squirt it all at once!

Toobloodytired Wed 05-Apr-17 22:59:46

He came at 37+3.

He's now 38+4

He cries for his milk but when I give it to him he screws his face up

Ellieboolou27 Wed 05-Apr-17 23:28:40

Newborns sleep a lot for the first 2 weeks, after that it's s bloody nightmare, give it time grin

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Wed 05-Apr-17 23:35:32

OK, so it may just be that he was a little early.

Ellie - that's what every HCP told me when I said that my DS slept ALL the time. It's very normal for them to sleep a hell of a lot, but they should have some short awake periods.

OP - I'm sure it's fine. With DS I had a feeling something was off and I was right. Trust your instincts. I'm sure he'll start to be more active in the next few days, but if not I'd seek medical advice, just to check everything is OK. Are you still under the midwife?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now