Talk

Advanced search

Same sex siblings....

(23 Posts)
Writerwannabe83 Tue 04-Apr-17 16:28:02

Yesterday I found out I'm growing a baby boy to add to the gorgeous boy that I already have grin

What are you experiences of having same sex siblings? And what are the age gaps between them?

I was a little bit shocked when I was told it was a boy (not that I was expecting or prepay d to hear) but now I'm over the moon and want to hear about others experiences of same sex siblings.

I'm prepared to read about the bad and the ugly as well as the good grin

ElphabaTheGreen Tue 04-Apr-17 16:35:18

My boys (2y2m between them) LUFFS each other. I asked DS1 the other day if he would have liked DS2 as much if he had been a girl. He looked at me in horror and said, 'No mummy. Brothers are much nicer than sisters.' Much as I'd have liked one of each, I can't imagine them having the same bond.

SleepFreeZone Tue 04-Apr-17 16:41:13

2 boys here. 3 years and 3 months between them and they are the best of friends 😍

juneau Tue 04-Apr-17 16:47:06

Two boys - 3.5 years between them. DS1 really wanted a brother, in fact asked for one, and they get on okay ... sometimes. They also fight. DS2 would prefer to have had a sister, or so he tells me. Tough luck! This baby factory is now closed grin.

The major advantages, as far as I'm concerned are:
- you can reuse all your boy clothes and toys
- as they get older they're usually happy to do the same days out, etc (although I think that would be true until at least 10 or so with DC of different gender)
- if you send them to a single sex school they can both go to the same one
- mine do the same sports, which makes after school or weekend sporting activities easier.

frazzled3ds Tue 04-Apr-17 16:49:58

3 boys, 11, 10 and 6. They all get on well together most of the time, usual sibling squabbles aside. Eldest and youngest get on better than middlest and youngest in many ways, although the younger two do share a pigsty bedroom, mostly amicably (I need to gut it of the outgrown toys and clothes which will help massively!) Can't imagine a girl in the mix to be honest!

They can be hard work at times (the boys) but they're great, and watching them growing up and developing in to young men is lovely. My exH has 7 children all together, all boys!

smilingsarahb Tue 04-Apr-17 16:50:36

I have 2 boys, 2 years apart. You are right to be excited. I love it.

Good..They really love each other and the youngest wants to be just like his big brother which is lovely. They have been able to share toys and clothes and interests. I also genuinely think they are prepared to do things that are more associated with girls as there is no girl to take that role. It gives them the freedom to be a boy not a sterotypical boy compared to a girl iyswim.

Bad...I think that the physicalness of two boys wrestling constantly isn't something my friends with one of each seem to experience. There children still fight etc, but wrestling isn't an activity for several hours as such. It's like the boyishness multiplies in the presence of another boy.

Be prepared for just how different they are. Don't think because they are the same gender they will be the same. I still have one quiet one, one clumsy one, one that's sporty, one that loves reading. One sensitive sole, one full of temper.

Enjoy

ClarkWGriswold Tue 04-Apr-17 16:51:55

I've got two DDs and there are 23 months between them. I was so happy to find out we were having another girl when I was pregnant the second time. It meant that (hopefully) my girls would grow up to be best of friends and we'd be able to reuse everything. I was also able to use the reserve name for DD1!

We have a two bed house so they can also share a bedroom for a while longer until we've got a bit more savings for a higher mortgage.

DramaAlpaca Tue 04-Apr-17 16:56:28

Three boys here, 16 months between the first two, then a 2.5 year gap, so just under 4 years between oldest & youngest.

They are now 23, 22 and 19, get on well most of the time and are very close. It's been really lovely watching them grow up with such a bond, and I've really enjoyed experiencing life with a family of same sex siblings. I have just one younger brother and we have never been close or even got on particularly well, so seeing my lot enjoying each other's company so much has been very special.

My boys have had their moments of course, and at times during the teenage years DS2 in particular would often fall out with his brothers, but DS1 & DS3 have always got on, probably because there's a sibling in between them. They get on great now again & I hope they will always be close.

LaContessaDiPlump Tue 04-Apr-17 16:58:28

13mo between my 2 boys and they are best friends/worst enemies depending on the day of the week. DS1 tearfully declared the other day that he wasn't going to be DS2's henchman any more hmm grin

Violetcharlotte Tue 04-Apr-17 17:07:21

There's 21 months between my two boys. I must admit, I did secretly hope for a girl, but I absolutely love having two boys! Here's what I can tell you about having two boys:
They eat ALL THE TIME
Your washing basket will never be empty
Their socks really smell bad
They'll make you laugh til you cry with some of the totally inappropriate things they say
You'll become really well acquainted with A&E
They love hugs
They're always on the go
They climb on anything and everything
Farting/ pooing/ bodily functions are all REALLY funny
You'll know more about dinosaurs than you ever thought was possible
They love their Mums

having two boys is fab, I wouldn't change mine for the world.

MrsPatrickDempsey Tue 04-Apr-17 18:54:41

This is such a lovely thread. I feel so warm reading the positive comments.

MusicalChairsOh Tue 04-Apr-17 19:00:30

There's 17 months between my 2 boys.
They're toddlers and it's mayhem but lovely . I've been able to re-use all the old clothes and toys. They adore each other....for now anyway..!

Writerwannabe83 Tue 04-Apr-17 19:55:36

Thanks everyone, it all sounds so lovely. I'm so looking forward to watching them grow up together and get into all sorts of mischief. My DS will be 3.5years old when new baby arrives.

Ive got a sister and there only 13 months between us and my childhood was wonderful because of her. Growing up together was amazing, all my good memories are wrapped up in her and she's my best friend. I think that's why I'm so excited about same sex siblings because I hope they have a relationship like me and my sister had/have.

My DH on the other hand has a brother (3 year age gap) and they have a very strained relationship. They only see each other maybe once or twice a year and there is no contact in between. I just don't want my two boy's relationship to end up like that.

Ellieboolou27 Wed 05-Apr-17 23:39:21

3 years between my girls, I love it, I was so pleased when I had another girl despite all the comments of trying again so we could maybe get a boy next time

First year was hard as dd1 was very jealous of her sister and quite spiteful, 20 months later it's great to hear them giggling in the back of the car together, makes the squabbling worth it.
Same sex siblings is great

Strokethefurrywall Wed 05-Apr-17 23:54:58

Hi OP, you were pregnant with your 1st the same time I was with my 2nd DS (both babies are March born, we were on same threads).

My 2 boys are 2 1/2 years apart and my god it's great. They're 5 1/2 and just turned 3 now and they get on brilliantly (with regular exceptions). DS2 adores his big brother and DS1 is happy to teach DS2 stuff and get him breakfast etc.

They're totally different personalities though which I think helps. It became much easier when DS1 turned 4 and they became firm friends when we went back to U.K. For 3 weeks and they were with each other 24/7.

I think your 3 year age gap won't be such that they'll be too far apart to be interested in the same things and your DS2 is likely to adore his big brother as he grows.

Congratulations, 2 boys are ace!!

BusMum79 Thu 06-Apr-17 00:10:30

Two boys here: 2 years, 2 days apart, so they are 3.5 and 1.5.
They're always on the go and are usually wrestling one minute, cuddling the next. They love each other so fiercely & are very cuddly with me.
I love being a mum of boys.
The older one sometimes gets fed up with the little one, but DS2 adores DS1 and clearly thinks he's an absolute hero.
When DS1 was in hospital recently, the first person he asked for was his browner. DS2's first word was DS1's name.
Yes, there is squabbling and sometimes I feel like a WWF referee, but I hope they're always this close! Congratulations & good luck

BusMum79 Thu 06-Apr-17 00:11:14

BROTHER, not browner: stupid phone!

OvO Thu 06-Apr-17 00:17:58

I have 2 boys, they're 3y 2w apart.

For years they got on great. But then my youngest decided to stop being a pushover! grin

Now they bicker endlessly. ENDLESSLY.

But woe betide anyone else daring to even look at their brother funny. Oh no, that's not happening. They're very protective of each other against other people!

They're 9 and 12 now. They're like chalk and cheese but both 100% awesome! 💕

Imabadmummy Thu 06-Apr-17 08:46:48

I have 2 boys, 17 months apart.
They are very different in personality.

Agree with PP - both very physical and fight/wrestle all.the time.
They eat constantly.
They clash but then they are siblings, wouldn't expect them not to.
Some days they are best mates, some days they hate each other - again siblings (I have a little sister who's 9 years younger and we were the same).

But it's soo good that you can reuse clothes/toys.
They both like simular toys too so they get well used and will play with them together.

They do love each other really. Youngest hates that he doesn't go to school yet (starts Sept) and misses his big brother/play mate so much.

onlyinshakespeare Thu 06-Apr-17 08:48:25

I think it's really lovely to have two the same sex.

All the same sex siblings I know are close friends as adults.

SleepFreeZone Thu 06-Apr-17 10:54:56

Me and my sister are not close sadly so I can't say the same sex always means closeness, but we have five years between us and she was fucking hideous to me growing up so I don't think that helped 😬

I am pretty strict on kindness in the home. If I see the eldest being really nasty to the youngest I will step in. I don't care about tit and tat stuff but I won't accept bullying at all.

Yokohamajojo Thu 06-Apr-17 11:38:34

Wow am I the only one who has two brothers that don't get on that well! They are 2.5 year apart and now 10 and almost 8. Saying that, they do sort of play together before it turns into a fight (not usually physical more verbal) but they do get on eachothers nerves. I do hope they will become friends when older but they are so different in every way although both love their football. One is calm with strong empathy and the other is a bit of a hothead and more solitary.

Introvertedbuthappy Thu 06-Apr-17 16:51:49

I have 2 boys, just shy of 7 years between them (DS1 was a surprise for DH and I during university!) They get on wonderfully despite the age gap. DS2 chases DS1 about and likes wrestling him to the ground (DS1 is great about pretending DS2 is very strong). They are very different in personality though -DS1 is a sensitive soul whereas DS2 is very confident and loves new people/situations (whereas DS1 can be shy at first). I love having two boys. I grew up with a brother 2.5 years younger than me and we can't stand each other. Haven't spoken in 6 years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now