Talk

Advanced search

Family budgeting

(5 Posts)
Machighlands27 Tue 04-Apr-17 04:01:54

I'm really struggling to make our pay stretch the month and am getting into more and more debt! Our DD is 5 months old and me and the DH are struggling to get used to all this extra expenditure! We've never been the best with money which doesn't help either confused any tips on how to budget and to keep costs of living down so we can stop our debt accumulation sad any money saving tips when it comes to parenting?

somewhereovertherain Tue 04-Apr-17 04:31:46

Not sure a 5 month old should cause much change to a budget.

Would suggest visiting moneysavingexpert.com and posting your SOA on the debt free wannabe board. Usually fantastic advice.

NerrSnerr Tue 04-Apr-17 05:02:35

What is the extra expenditure at the moment? Is it due to reduced earnings on maternity leave, nursery or stuff you're buying and doing with the baby?

Ours didn't cost a huge amount until nursery, we used the local children's centre, library and community for groups- so didn't do tumble tots, sensory etc. (Church baby/ toddler groups are cheap as well). We got nappies in bulk whenever on offer and clothes from EBay and charity shops. I also scoured the charity shops for books and toys to save for birthdays and Christmas. We have saved a fair amount that way picking up cheap Brio, Duplo, Peppa toys etc.

Want2bSupermum Tue 04-Apr-17 05:14:08

It is so easy to burn through money. We use jam jars with cash in them each week. No cards. We have to get to the end of the week before we get to the end of the jars. Some weeks are interesting. What is left over is used to pay down the mortgage.

The cash that is spent is accounted for by a receipt. Stops you going into coffee places that don't give you a receipt!

Gillian1980 Tue 04-Apr-17 14:15:02

I found it hard too - nappies, wipes, formula, extra food, odd bits of new clothes etc. It all adds up. And on reduced income while on maternity leave - what a combination!

We did a spreadsheet with all outgoings and income. And just have to be really strict with yourself and stick to it.

We have to get rid of our sky package, changed energy provider, started eating cheaper. Most of our daughters clothes are second hand etc.

We didn't have takeaways, nights out, new clothes etc until I went back to work. And even now we're really strict with our spending.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now