Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Please help! My Ex is about to give birth and we are not talking

(4 Posts)
JohnHaringey1980 Mon 03-Apr-17 21:40:22

Hi all,

I have been looking all over the internet to see if I could get some information.......and have come up blank.

Myself and my ex were together for a year. In that time she fell pregnant. We split up before Xmas and she is due to give birth anytime now. I was present at all the hospital appointments up until we split up.

She has since moved to Belfast to live with her mother. I am in London. I have emailed and text loads of times offering to help with any financial contributions, or get her anything she needs. Her mother sent me an email last week saying that she does not want to hear from me in any capacity and that my ex does not require any help/support from me.

I should probably add that I broke up with her, and there was no issues of drugs/violence etc.

I appreciate I will miss the birth of my daughter, as well I wont be wanted at the birth, or told when it will be.

I would like to know when my daughter is born and I want to pay an active role in her life. I am more than willing to provide any finances towards maintenance.

Before I look at getting lawyers, which is money I would rather spend on my daughter, does anyone know what my rights are, what I should do??

I have been on the 'Fathers 4 Justice' website and it is a complete con, and waste of money.

If anyone could help me or signpost me I would be eternally grateful,

Many thanks for reading this essay!!


TalkingofMichaelAngel0 Mon 03-Apr-17 21:45:58

You have responsibilities. When your daughter is born she will have rights.

I dont have any experience here. Youll probably need a paternity est maybe? And a solicitor to get parental responsibility?

tribpot Mon 03-Apr-17 21:47:46

I think you probably want Families Need Fathers.

I am assuming that your ex will not name you on the birth certificate, which is the simplest way to get parental responsibility and so you may need to use another method to obtain it.

However, I would start off by registering with the Child Maintenance Service - the difficulty here may be if you don't know the child's full name or date of birth.

JohnHaringey1980 Mon 03-Apr-17 22:04:25

thank you TalkingofMichealAngel1 - and yes I imagine I would need to undertake a DNA test to prove I am the father.

tribpot - I don't know that she wont put me on the birth certificate but on an educated guess I wont be. Yes I have no idea what Surname the baby will have or name.

Thank you both

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: