Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Feeding a toddler - advice/guidance please.

(5 Posts)
Nottalotta Mon 03-Apr-17 18:21:10

Ds is 20 months old, did baby led weaning and has always eaten well. What he will eat has changed, in that we started with cooked veg that he coukdpick up and gnaw on, broccoli and cauliflower florets, carrot batons etc and he always ate them well. Once he was eating more variety though he went off veg in this form, though if you give him a roast/stew in a bowl, chopped up, he will eat the lot with his spoon and fork, all veg included.

My dilemma is, tonight for example I was doing him a quick dinner, jacket potatoe cheese and beans which he likes. He ate about three spoonfuls, with persuasion. Had I given him a bowl of beans on their own he would have eaten the lot.

Took that away as it was being played with, gave him a slice of fruit toast again which he loves. Didn't touch it. He's currently eating cereal.

He is getting all four canine teeth so it a bit cranky and has just wailed a bit as I think he caught a sore bit.

But, my question is, should I have stopped at the potato? I don't want to create bad habits, I know he'll usually eat it. Do I make allowances for teeth? Is he too young to understand?

We've got off to a great start and I don't want to cause problems now. Thanks in advance.....

Frazzled2207 Mon 03-Apr-17 18:24:58

I don't know the answer but just to warn you both of mine started off well then got fussier and fussier. 22mo currently exists on hot cross buns and petit filous and occasionally pasta.

Personally, I do make allowances for teeth and just give him more of what he likes.

ScarletBegonia1234 Mon 03-Apr-17 18:32:34

My 23 month old ds goes through fussy phases. I make sure at least one part of the meal is something he currently likes (so you did that with the beans part of your dinner) but if he leaves it he doesn't get offered alternatives. We did do that for a bit and found in our case it made him worse! However if he does have a fussy dinner where he doesn't eat much I'll wait till just before bed and offer him porridge so I know he has had a chence to fill his tum if he's hungry. Sometimes he'll take it sometimes not!

BellyBean Mon 03-Apr-17 18:59:58

I'd give allowances for teeth, as you did. I wouldn't eg. Just give yoghurt but if I'd planned a sort of pudding id still give it even if main not eaten.

Presume cereal is pre bed to ensure full.

DD got fussier around that age but is fine again age three.

Nottalotta Mon 03-Apr-17 19:21:00

He didn't actually eat the cereal, but did eat a couple of rice cakes which he likes when he's teething. So just not hungry I suppose.

I don't want to get to a stage where I just give him what he will definitely eat (in bowl of beans tonight)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: