Talk

Advanced search

Baby sling and suspected dyspraxia

(21 Posts)
guinea36 Mon 03-Apr-17 08:10:18

Hi there
My baby is 5 weeks old and can be quite windy/colicky in the evening. I really think a sling might help. I was kindly given a basic cloth one by afriend but I'm struggling to use it - despite watching a million Online tutorials.
Basically I have long suspected I am dyspraxic and find things involving motor skills such as doing knots, folding cloth evenly really difficult. I've also even found putting on nappies and initially getting in the right position for baby to latch on a challenge but that's a different story!
I was wondering whether anyone has any recommendations for a sling/carry that doesn't involve lots of folding, knotting and wrapping and is easy to get on myself? The easier the better. In addition does a cArry have the same benefits of a sling in allowing a baby to heel close to you etc? Adding to the complication is the fact that baby is very long and in the 98th percentile for femur length so struggles with holds which involve her legs being bunched together!. Thanks for your help x

PotteringAlong Mon 03-Apr-17 08:11:53

Something like a connecta would be great; simple and uses buckles. If you google sling library in your local area you could go along and try lots and then hire one before you buy?

HeyCat Mon 03-Apr-17 08:14:07

Look for buckle slings - I'm also dyspraxia and can't cope with the wrap or ring slings at all.

Try the connecta, ergobaby, or beco.

welshweasel Mon 03-Apr-17 08:22:08

Close caboo worth a look if you want the comfort of a stretchy wrap. A sling library would be your best bet though, that way you can try lots and they can help you learn how to use it.

guinea36 Mon 03-Apr-17 08:26:28

Just to add we have a sling library but it's open once a fortnight and it's not easy to get to transport wise although not impossible. Hoping to try and sort something out as soon as possible hence the fact I'm posting here

Beachhairdontcare Mon 03-Apr-17 08:27:06

Oh blimey me too, I really struggled with the complicated ones! I now have a baby k'tan and my six week old adores it...no complex wrapping or tying, super quick to put on too!

guinea36 Mon 03-Apr-17 08:27:46

Thanks for all your messages - will definitely check out those suggestions. X

BertieBotts Mon 03-Apr-17 08:29:21

Yes Connecta might work better for you.

The stretchy wraps are pretty good in that you can tie first and put baby in second, I don't know if that helps. DS never liked his legs being in either - I used to find that the "newborn hug hold" worked well for us. You need to tie it on you so that it's snug like a t-shirt, don't leave slack, but don't pull it right to the limits of the material either. The stretch in it allows the baby to fit in.

If you have a sling meet locally someone might be able to show you which is easier than youtube or picture tutorials. Even if not breastfeeding groups tend to attract sling users - try asking there?

divadee Mon 03-Apr-17 08:30:04

I would also suggest a sling library. But if you can't get to one I would recommend a caboo. I have one and I am not one for fiddly put this thing through here and that knot there etc.....

Here is a video of how you put it on.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=2UqkZefPsbc

flutterbean Mon 03-Apr-17 08:33:16

A Close Caboo could be good, some tightening on the cloth needed. But it uses rings, only one knot to tie for the middle panel.

Or buckles (at 5 weeks i'd recommend something like the JMPBB Physio Carrier -great for little babies).

Have you tried emailing/messaging your sling library? Some are happy to give a few tips via email. Do they offer postal hires through their website?

MummaGiles Mon 03-Apr-17 08:35:16

Yes definitely recommend a buckle carrier like a connecta - super quick and simple to put on.

IrnBruTortie Mon 03-Apr-17 08:36:54

I used an Ergo, and found it really easy. Baby on the front until they were a few weeks old, and then on the back - carried them both until they were beyond three. Then o sold it on eBay for the same amount I paid for it!

XL Mon 03-Apr-17 09:33:27

Baby bjorn sling easy Peasy no tying

firawla Mon 03-Apr-17 09:41:48

I get easily confused with a lot of the slings, but managed to get on better with a Mei tai style one. I'm not dyspraxic afaik but ds2 is and I am rubbish at this kind of thing generally and the Mei tai was much simpler

NoLotteryWinYet Mon 03-Apr-17 09:44:28

baby bjorn - i'm similar and this just clips, it's much easier. Ergo is also easy but knackered my back - if you have a weak lower back I wouldn't recommend.

MrsDarkDestroyer Mon 03-Apr-17 10:09:45

Another vote for baby bjorn. I love mine. Although my ds is only 10 weeks so no idea how long it will last.

NoLotteryWinYet Mon 03-Apr-17 10:11:46

i used baby bjorn until dd was about 9 months and only stopped as it was knackering my back!

ComeLuckyApril Mon 03-Apr-17 12:40:51

I second the mei tai. This dyspraxic kept trapping her fingers in the buckle ones but the mei tai is simpler than cloth.

Heirhelp Mon 03-Apr-17 13:52:05

This is me. I use a Manduca but hire before you buy. There are full online sling libraries.

Heirhelp Mon 03-Apr-17 13:52:54

Baby Bjorn does not meet the TICKS guidelines so I would never have one.

ISaySteadyOn Mon 03-Apr-17 13:54:57

Ergo all the way for me. And I am diagnosed dyspraxic fwiw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now