We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help! Why do my kids scream all day?!

(7 Posts)
Jenni5443 Mon 03-Apr-17 07:46:42

My two children 4 and 2 just seem to scream cry whinge fight all day no matter what I try do with them even when we are out exactly the same!! What the he'll am I doing wrong?! Can never enjoy going out with them because of it. I feel like a complete failure!

AssassinatedBeauty Mon 03-Apr-17 10:13:49

What sort of strategies do you do to manage behaviour? Are you consistent?

If you need some new ideas you could try a book called Toddler Calm by Sarah Ockwell-Smith, a book that I find very helpful.

MiaowTheCat Mon 03-Apr-17 10:29:43

A star chart with a few selected targets including "no whinging" (and some stuff like "tidy my toys" and the like) and pictures has started to work wonders with my older 4 year old (she's 5 next week - at the moment I've got two of them both aged 4 - god help me). If she gets her target number of stars in the week she gets one of those little Playmobil blind bag figures for the mountain of the stuff in the house!

I've worked so far on reducing the whining from the eldest because my younger child is a right bloody copy cat and that's been a huge factor in her own whining.

Jenni5443 Mon 03-Apr-17 11:33:10

Thanks for the tips I'm really not consistent with discipline. I'm so soft and they walk all over me and I know that's what half the problem is how would you work a reward chart? In what situations would you give a reward and is it one per day???

Jenni5443 Mon 03-Apr-17 11:37:11

Plus me and my partner end up falling out with each other over it as we are both stressed out from the situation. Would love to calm the household down and just all be happy

purplecoathanger Mon 03-Apr-17 11:38:26

Consistent boundaries, that you enforce, are essential. Have rules, stick to them and have consequences for them if they step out of line. Having said that, the ages they are will require age appropriate rules. Pick your battles with them but stick to your guns.

purplecoathanger Mon 03-Apr-17 11:39:45

You and your DP need to agree on the rules and support each other in implementing them. A united front is needed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now