Talk

Advanced search

Nearly 6 year old won't play alone

(5 Posts)
Sleepymumma Sun 02-Apr-17 18:58:54

My nearly 6 year old son struggles to entertain himself at all. I work 5 days a week and dh works away a lot. My son is football obsessed which is fine when daddy is home as he will have a kick about with him but I just can't do it. I have a few health issues that prevent me from being able to run around and play football with him. I'm just really struggling to keep on top of all the housework and entertain my son and spend quality time having fun with him as all he wants to do is play football. He has a playroom full of toys that are just gathering dust. He's not interested in playing with them at all. I feel like such a bad mum as I can't do the one thing he wants me to do and feel as though he's bored when we are on our own. He doesn't understand that I have jobs I need to get done to keep the house running.
Anyone else experienced the same thing and any ideas how I can spend some quality time doing something we can both enjoy together?

pipnchops Sun 02-Apr-17 19:16:46

No experience but do you have a garden he could practice solo skills like keepie uppie, kicking the ball against a wall?! You could get table football to play together?

Sleepymumma Sun 02-Apr-17 19:54:57

We have a garden and I often try to encourage him to play out there but he will just kick a ball for 5 mins then throw astrop because he wants me to play with him. We have table football too but he gets stroppy if he loses and refuses to play.
He's an only child and all he wants is someone to play with. He has lots of friends and has lots of play dates but again all he wants to do is play football and most of his friends aren't that bothered about it so they end up falling out!

BellyBean Mon 03-Apr-17 19:08:03

I know it's more likely wanting your involvement, but I've seen these bounce back goals where the ball is pinged back when you kick it. Would feel more challenging and like he's playing against someone?

Sleepymumma Mon 03-Apr-17 21:12:30

Ooh that's a good idea. I'll take a look. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now