Talk

Advanced search

Colic or whingy baby

(11 Posts)
overduemamma Sat 01-Apr-17 21:46:31

Little girl is 5 weeks old on Sunday and I can't get my head around whether she's suffering with colic or if I've got a whingy baby. She is currently on sma 6oz every 3-4 hours. Bowel movements fine. Winds fine. She rarely happy, she'll have a bottle and then abit 20 mins later the crying starts. This will last 1hr to 1hr/half after rocking her and tapping her bum. I've tried infacol. Currently on colief and that seemed to work for the first day but second day back to normal! Help...

Timetogrowup2016 Sat 01-Apr-17 21:52:59

Babies cry when their tired .
I would suggest she wants to go to sleep

Oneiroi Sat 01-Apr-17 22:21:54

It sounds quite normal for a baby this age, they are still learning how to use their gut muscles and often struggle to settle.

When we had similar problems and our baby would not settle on his back for more than a few minutes a friend recommended we try cranial osteopathy and it worked wonders, he is so much more settled and instantly started to sleep through the night at 3 weeks old. Issues can often be exacerbated by long labours, interventions if C sections, I don't know if any of that is relevant in your case? If so it may be worth a try.

Oneiroi Sat 01-Apr-17 22:22:44

*or (not 'if'!)

overduemamma Sat 01-Apr-17 22:30:29

I had a normal labour. Was only in labour for 3 1/2 hours. No forceps or c-section. It's just all very tiring especially with a 2 1/2 year old x

Oneiroi Sat 01-Apr-17 22:48:38

Maybe she just wants to be held all the time, some babies are like that. She might be getting overtired as Time said; they often get fussy at around 5/6 weeks when they make their first developmental leap and become more aware and start fighting sleep?

overduemamma Sat 01-Apr-17 23:20:14

This could be it. She's just had her last bottle and gone down fine in her Moses basket. It's just the day time that's the problem 🙁 x

user1490634864 Sat 01-Apr-17 23:25:34

Babies with colic are visibly uncomfortable and scream for hours on end. They don't settle down comfortably after a feed either. No advice on what it is but doesn't sound like colic x

Oneiroi Sat 01-Apr-17 23:38:23

Colic is just a word for 'unexplained crying', it isn't an actual condition.

OP it sounds like it is just this stage of development and will pass in a week or two. Napping less in the day is normal, and it starts to be hard to get them to nap. Sometimes taking them for walks in a pram or sling can help to knock them out. Download 'The Wonder Weeks' app, I found it really helpful for explaining what was going on!

overduemamma Sun 02-Apr-17 21:08:25

I don't think it is colic that's the problem. I think I just have a whingy baby. She won't settle unless one of us is holding/rocking her to sleep. This is only through the day as she sleeps fine in her Moses basket. On the wonder weeks app it says she having a 'bad' week. Maybe it'll pass. I hope so! X

Iwasjustabouttosaythat Sun 02-Apr-17 21:33:00

My HV said it's probably PURPLE crying with my baby. Might be for yours too. It's very common: purplecrying.info/what-is-the-period-of-purple-crying.php

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now