Talk

Advanced search

How many breastfeed does you 10 month old have ?

(8 Posts)
fedup17 Sat 01-Apr-17 20:21:08

So I was just interested in how many breastfeeds your 10 month old baby has? My son will be 10 month old on Tuesday and he still feeds regularly at night like a new born. I would like to stop breastfeeding when he is one year old but i think it's going to be very difficult and it's stressing me out. He relies on breastfeeds to soothe to sleep, to get him back to sleep if he wakes up, when he's upset. He has one breast feed in the morning before breakfast, then has his breakfast then he will have his dinner and another breast feed after that then has tea and another breastfeed after tea and then another feed around 21:00 then another at 23:00 then another at 2:00am then another at 4/5am then his breakfast feed. If he is upset for any reason in between his daily feeds ( like he hurts himself whilst playing/crawling) he will want to feed then to comfort him. I don't know how to cut out these feeds as I think it's too much as he has 3 meals a day. If I try to cut out one of his night feeds he gets very upset and he will just cry non stop so I just give in. Is this even normal? With my daughters I only breastfed them till 6 months and they slept through from 8 weeks! I am happy to breastfeed until he's one but just wish he would sleep longer at night. I feel like I'm constantly breastfeeding him and I can't go anywhere or do anything on my own.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 01-Apr-17 21:38:16

He doesn't seem to be having many feeds in the day? Have you tried feeding more often in the day to see if this cuts down on his nighttime feeds?

If you could cut down the night feeds would it feel less overwhelming for you?

Are you thinking of starting stopping Bfing when he's one or are you thinking of starting the transition now? Does he take a bottle or cup of milk?

fuckoffdailysnail Tue 04-Apr-17 20:44:02

DD2 is 9 months, she feeds once in the morning when wakes up, once at night time before bed. She's not interested otherwise

Pipsicola Wed 05-Apr-17 06:51:57

When my DD was 10 months we were down to once before breakfast and once before bed - mainly as she wasn't bothered otherwise and preferred eating. Seems you LO is using the breast for comfort a lot which is what it's meant to do, but you might find it harder to stop as a result. Is there any other way you can associate comforting with out the breast?

strugglingfinancially Wed 05-Apr-17 11:52:20

I am trying to increase his daily feeds now to lessen the aiming he has at night. I want to breastfeed him till he's one but I want him to come less reliant if he breast milk because if I want to go out I can't leave him with his dad because he will want me for milk. He won't take a bottle of formula, has one sip and pushes bottle away. I also never able to express enough milk. I'm just stuck now I don't know what to try. I do give him a t shirt of mine at night to comfort him but that alone doesn't work to settle him.

fedup17 Wed 05-Apr-17 11:58:24

Sorry the above post is me! I ended up replying with my cousins name as she used my account to ask advise on my phone. lol Incan anyone wondering why two names

Talcott2007 Wed 05-Apr-17 12:17:00

Is your DS in his own room yet? DD is 10mths and only just gone in her room in the last few weeks - and has had a massive improvement at night - before I was up feeding every 3hrs or more and she would wake by 6am ready for her day. She now feeds to go to sleep at about 8.30/9pm and wakes 4am has a quick feed then sleeps through until after 8.30am! It's amazing compared to before. I think it got to the point where we were waking her up! During the day she doesn't really feed anymore especially if we are out and about. She only seems to want it if we are just having a day at home where she has learnt how to undo my bra! (I eat when I am bored too!) Or if she is feeling poorly which is definetly a comfort thing! I apparently fed at night until about 2yrs old when my DM finally 'negotiated' with me to stop so I imagine I will have to do something similar when the time comes!

HumpHumpWhale Wed 05-Apr-17 13:36:10

Mine still feeds every 3 hours during the day and minimum twice at night. She's not eating a lot of solids yet (which I'm not worried about as my DS was worse - ate basically nothing until 13 months and breastfed every 90 minutes during the day). It'll pass. Soon, I hope, but I'm not pushing her too much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now