Talk

Advanced search

When did you move to an open top cup?

(33 Posts)
Summerdays2014 Sat 01-Apr-17 10:36:36

Hi, my 14 month old has all his drinks from a tommee yippie free flow cup. No problems. I've just been reading a book on a peach development and it says move to an open cup asap. We tried this the other day and it just went everywhere (though my son thought it was great!)
At what age did you children manage an open top cup, and does a 'sippy cup' really make that much difference to their development?

Thanks

Summerdays2014 Sat 01-Apr-17 10:37:55

*tippee
* speech develomrmt

Sorry blush

MamaHanji Sat 01-Apr-17 10:41:39

Truthfully my toddler could just not get the hang of it and ended up not drinking as she couldn't drink! So she had a silly cup or an open cup with a straw. Then about 2 months ago we were at a playgroup and at snack time they gave them all open cups and she just picked it up and drank. She was 2.7 when she just started doing it no problems.

I really didn't push it, as she has had no problem following and surpassing milestones so I just waited until she was older.

MamaHanji Sat 01-Apr-17 10:43:44

Haha *sippy

And it really hasn't made any difference. She is pretty advanced in all areas so I haven't ruined her with a sippy cup and the dummy she still has at bed time!

Try not to worry too much. I remember getting really anxious that at 18 months she couldn't draw a circle like it said she should be able to.

TeaBelle Sat 01-Apr-17 10:48:25

Dd is 2,5 and can't manage without a mess. She was within the normal limits for starting to talk and is now well above expectations for speech

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Sat 01-Apr-17 10:50:09

switch to a munchkin 360, it doesn't have a spout so.might make the transition to an open cup better?

Summerdays2014 Sat 01-Apr-17 10:53:59

Whatthe, we have the 360 cup, but he can't get the hang of it at all and just ends up getting cross. If I'm being honest I'm a little anxious as my son has no words yet (other than dada) so I guess I'm trying to eliminate all obstacles...

TiggeryBear Sat 01-Apr-17 10:58:54

Have you tried using a paper cup? We had a fair bit of success with a very small amount of squash in it. We typically use the 360 cup now as she likes to shake them!!! Means we don't get covered in drink all the time.

Sleeperandthespindle Sat 01-Apr-17 11:01:00

Water in a normal cup or doidy cup in the bath worked for mine from really little.

Summerdays2014 Sat 01-Apr-17 11:03:49

Sleeper, I've been looking at the doidy cup. Think I might give it a go. Paper cup suggestion also worth a shot. He does love to shake his water out of the tommee tippee cup, it ends up everywhere!

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Sat 01-Apr-17 11:06:38

buy your doidy on Amazon, I got 2 for £8 and they are £6 each in John Lewis smile

motheroftwojedi Sat 01-Apr-17 11:08:28

We used a doidy cup with both DS from the time we started weaning and never had any issues, although would use a lidded beaker if we were out and about to prevent spillage.

WheresTheEvidence Sat 01-Apr-17 11:08:45

14 months or so using the ikea kids beakers

SaudadeObama Sat 01-Apr-17 11:12:21

At about 2-3 my youngest stopped at 4. 4 children all bilingual, no problems.

When I opened this I thought it was going to ask when I stopped drinking my tea and coffee in a closed cup grin.

Summerdays2014 Sat 01-Apr-17 11:29:42

Thanks for the tip whatthe, I'm going to order them now (love Amazon prime!)

teaandbiscuitsforme Sat 01-Apr-17 12:02:03

DD started with a doidy at 6 months and could use it independently at about 8/9 months. She uses the IKEA cups now at 23 months because the handles of the doidy are quite small. I take a straw water bottle out and about with us, think it's the Oxo Tot one.

Hulababy Sat 01-Apr-17 12:06:34

Dd didn't really use a cup with a lid. She had a doidy cup with the tilted rim. That's years ago though. She did have a dummy though for the first year or so - gone by time she was 2. Only allowed it for sleep time or very upset or ill and never when speaking.

FATEdestiny Sat 01-Apr-17 13:57:01

On what basis is it important to change to a cup?

My 12 year old drinks from a sports beaker. At school, at home, overnight, most of the time. Likewise me 11 year old and my 7 year old.

Sports breakers are "lidded", is there a suggestion lidded breakers should stop in the toddler years.

4pm every day, my 3 children come home from school and I fill our four 1 litre straw-topped beakers (fourth one is for my toddler) and all are drank by 5.30.

There's almost always out 1l drinks breakers dotted around the house. It saves spillage as well as keeping drink enclosed if not finished in one go. I really don't understand why lidded breakers are a problem.

Most schools ask pupils to take kidded breakers. Mine take them to football, swimming and netball training too.

Of course they all (including 2 year old toddler) can drink from open cups or glasses. We have glasses with meals. But routinely, I can't see the need to swap just normal water/squash drinking into cups.

I've never actively moved my older children on from breakers. But I guess mine is a busier household than many. I'd rather they could sit on the sofa with their drink without needing somewhere flat to put it down.

Im waffling. My point is, you could just swap to grown up style water beakers. Lots have straw-type lids if using surgery drinks. Of its just water, sports direct do loads of beakers.

WhyTheHeckMe Sat 01-Apr-17 16:26:10

Op my ds is almost 15 months and still only uses the tommee tippee sippy cups.
He still drinks milk 2x a day from a bottle too - is this bad??

Summerdays2014 Sat 01-Apr-17 19:52:02

I've ordered the doidy cup, thanks for all the advice. Tried the 360 one again today, but it just makes him angry. Whytheheck, the things I've been reading from NHS and the speech book recommend moving to an open cup as soon as you are able and to give up bottles by the age of 1. I know a lot don't, and I wasn't worried about the sippy cup at all, but I'm paranoid about his lack of speech ( I know I'm probably being silly and he will get there)

Cutesbabasmummy Sat 01-Apr-17 21:04:17

My DS is 2.2years and only stopped bottles at 2. He has a munchkin 360 which he's fine with but he still chucks an open cup all over himself!

3luckystars Sat 01-Apr-17 21:10:14

Why did it say 'asap' ? I can't see how it would have any impact on speech development unless they are swigging out of one all day long.
I had read that straws are good for speech, would you try that?
Or a doidy cup maybe? I don't see what the hussy is though.

3luckystars Sat 01-Apr-17 21:11:35

Sorry I just read your update. The doidy cup is good.
Try the straws too. Good luck x

IToldYouIWasFreaky Sat 01-Apr-17 21:12:09

Is the problem with sippy cups and bottles that children could be spending all their time with a cup/bottle in their mouth, which could hinder speech? If they just have a covered cup at meal/snack time, I can't see it being that different from a beaker. But I am no expert!

Nursery sorted this for us! DS started at just over a year old and they mentioned one day that he could use a beaker so we gave him one at home and he was away. It might have been seeing other children using them that helped...do you have any slightly older toddlers around that you could rope in to be role models?

Summerdays2014 Sat 01-Apr-17 21:23:49

Thanks *3luckystars. I will give the straws a go. Itoldyou, he is at nursery, so I might have a word with them and get them to practice with him!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now