Talk

Advanced search

Nursery making my DD ill

(20 Posts)
Iinventedpostits Fri 31-Mar-17 20:20:15

Hello. My DD started nursery just over a month ago and has since had two girls injections. I never used to worry about her as I never had a reason too but now I am constantly on edge and panicking over the slightest little thing. Is she going to be ill the whole time she is at nursery? How long does it take her immune system to adjust?

Semaphorically Fri 31-Mar-17 20:22:11

How old is she? When DD started nursery she had various colds etc almost non-stop for about six months, but she was only 6 months old so probably hadn't been exposed to much prior to that.

Runningbutnotscared Fri 31-Mar-17 20:23:27

What's a 'girls injection'?
Why would she need two?

BrutusMcDogface Fri 31-Mar-17 20:28:18

I guess 2 girls injections might be autocorrect for some kind of infection?

Anyway, I guess all children are different but my dc were ill for A long time after starting nursery. Dc3 was there for 9 months but got ill most Fridays, after spending the latter part of the week there. It's par for the course unfortunately.

Iinventedpostits Fri 31-Mar-17 20:30:54

Bloody hell pyone. * viral injections. Sorry about that!

Iinventedpostits Fri 31-Mar-17 20:31:03

*phone.

Iinventedpostits Fri 31-Mar-17 20:31:58

**infections!! I literally have no idea what is wrong with my hands! Haha I am so sorry blush

Iinventedpostits Fri 31-Mar-17 20:32:37

She is 7 months.

Thewinedidit Fri 31-Mar-17 20:35:13

We are on month 4 of nursery and it has been one long sick filled period. I am just hopeful that DS is going to have an excellent immune system after so much germ exposure.

coolaschmoola Fri 31-Mar-17 20:35:32

DD was also ill for about six months - but ever since she's been ridiculously healthy. She's now five, has only had one day absence in two years, whereas the children who didn't start school until this year are constantly I'll.

Gillian1980 Fri 31-Mar-17 20:37:21

Dd was ill almost constantly for a good 6 months when she started nursery. Honestly, she would have 2-3 days of being fine and then come down with her next illness.

BettyOBarley Fri 31-Mar-17 20:39:58

DD has been at nursery two months and has had numerous colds, a diarrhoea bug and scarlet fever.

A few people had said to me that the first year of nursery they'll hardly be there for being poorly so I think it's par for the course unfortunately!

Atenco Fri 31-Mar-17 21:12:10

My dgd got quite badly sick for over a month soon after she started nursery. I know they are being exposed to more infections there, but in my dgd we think it was also emotional. She's hardly been sick since and that was two and half years ago.

MamaHanji Fri 31-Mar-17 21:12:46

I my 2.9 year old started preschool 2 mornings a week for the last 2 months. She has since had a permanent chesty cough, 2 colds, a throat infection, and is now on her second ear infection and conjunctivitis. She's not really been around other children before that, and only had snuffles briefly. Hopefully it will all be over soon and is just her system adjusting.

Runningbutnotscared Fri 31-Mar-17 21:30:41

Now you say 'viral infection' it's an obvious spell check change to 'girl injections' - sorry. I wracked my brains for possible spell check changes and couldn't make a jump to the right words.

Cutesbabasmummy Mon 03-Apr-17 21:33:31

My DS now 2 started at 9.months and caught everything going! Not been so bad this winter!

KatyN Mon 03-Apr-17 22:00:13

It might not help now but my son started school this September. He's had one day off sick. He got all the bugs at nursery. Some of his mates are getting everything at school so I think they all get everything it just depends when.
It does get better!!! K

clarabellski Tue 04-Apr-17 16:17:56

My DS started beginning of Feb and has hardly had a full week there due to a couple of viral infections then a nasty bout of bacterial tonsilitis. And he passed said virus to me and I have had in that same time period a week of laryngitis, labyrinthitis and now I've just got over my own bout of bacterial tonsilitis (presumably caught from DS). My bradford score must be shocking....

No idea if we're passed the worst of it yet...

Me624 Tue 04-Apr-17 20:25:20

My DS started nursery mid Jan, aged 10 months, so he's been there nearly 3 months now. We have been incredibly lucky that he hasn't had anything major and no need for any time off yet, but he had a cold within a few days of being there and it came with a really nasty cough that he didn't shift for about 7 or 8 weeks. It was awful, woke us all every night, we took him to the doctor after 5/6 weeks but there was nothing they could do as it was viral. He finally got over it a few weeks ago! Has a permanently snot encrusted nose though and I'm not expecting that to go for another few months!

NotCitrus Wed 05-Apr-17 11:28:39

IME the kids who had been to nursery were fine when they started school, but ones who hadn't had their six months of snot etc then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now