Talk

Advanced search

Tongue tie

(12 Posts)
Desperad0 Thu 30-Mar-17 11:52:57

Dc 2 has been diagnosed with tongue tie but due to weight gain/No feeding issues hv won't do anything. I'm concerned about speech etc, anyone have any experience? Is it worth going private considering no problem feeding?

ZZZZ1111 Thu 30-Mar-17 11:59:40

How old is she? I know some babies have no problems with weight gain initially but do somewhere down the line so it could be worth getting it sorted sooner rather than later?

My baby's TT was snipped at 1 week old and we never looked back. It was about £150 privately.

Desperad0 Thu 30-Mar-17 12:03:45

14 weeks.

Desperad0 Thu 30-Mar-17 19:41:09

Anyone else?

Beansprout30 Thu 30-Mar-17 20:29:31

My dd had hers snipped about 3 weeks, I kept pestering the hospital to have it done because it was majorly hampering breastfeeding. Massive improvement almost immediately

Ginlinessisnexttogodliness Fri 31-Mar-17 10:55:21

Both mine had tongue ties, different ones but both severe.
We were lucky in that our HV referred first time and Doctor that did newborn examination in hospital the second. They were done on the NHS. I would have paid to have them done though due to the issues that can present themselves in later years.

Definitely worth the cost I would say but feel that given how much it impedes most breastfeeding babies and causes stress for breastfeeding mothers, it should be free on the NHS. Nonsensical. It's one of the main reasons so many women give up breastfeeding because it causes poor latch and makes everyone often miserable.

Good luck I'd get it done

BeingATwatItsABingThing Fri 31-Mar-17 11:01:04

My DD had hers cut at 5 weeks. Paid for privately because it was the wrong sort to have done at hospital. It didn't help her latch because she had developed such a strong latch and it still hurt.

Funnyonion17 Fri 31-Mar-17 11:04:41

My DS had his snipped in the hospital less then 24 hours old to prevent feeding issues. My friend bottle fed and her son's was done at about 18 months old as a minor operation. Your doctor can refer you and get the ball rolling

SprogletsMum Fri 31-Mar-17 11:04:46

Definitely get it done if you can. When dc1 was a baby they didn't cut tongue ties at all in my area because apparently it was purely cosmetic. My milk dried up totally by the time he was 4 months despite almost constant feeding. He couldn't use cutlery because his tongue would push it back out. He had it snipped under ga at 2 and then needed it done again at 4. He's 8 now and the muscles are slowly starting to develop.
It did affect his speech and he was also really slobbery until he was about 6ish.
Dd1 and 2 had theirs done at 2 and 5 days, no issues whatsoever.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Fri 31-Mar-17 11:08:07

Hi OP, my 20 month old DD has a tongue tie, it's quite severe in that she can't stuck here tongue out and the end is apple shaped but it's never effected her feeding and her speech is wonderful! smile

I asked the HV at her recent development check if it's likely to cause any probs later if it's not now, and she doesn't think so but we can be referred to the clinic if we want to.

So try not to worry, yours may be the same smile

Desperad0 Sat 01-Apr-17 15:41:32

Thanks for all the replies, we decided to get it done privately as it really could drag on trying to convince the hv- there's a massive improvement already smile

Beansprout30 Sat 01-Apr-17 21:04:44

Excellent news. I think the sooner it's done the better really for baby

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now