Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Child looking after sibling

(4 Posts)
theworriedone Tue 28-Mar-17 07:53:52


What age did you start leaving your teen with a younger sibling?

My sons are 13 and 8, 13 year old very sensible and capable. Would know what to do in an emergency - close to neighbours etc. 8 year old typical small boy confusedgrin. Would you leave them for the occasional short stint?

MsJolly Tue 28-Mar-17 07:57:45

Depends if you trust them to not start bickering and fighting! I'd leave DD with my youngest DS (same ages) as they never fight but would not leave my two boys together as I couldn't trust them-90% of the time they are great but they regularly blow during the other 10%!

kel1493 Tue 28-Mar-17 07:59:38

I was 10 when I was left with my brother, who had autism

sticklebrix Tue 28-Mar-17 08:04:23

I agree with MsJolly. We leave our kids in certain combinations and not others for the same reason.

If your DC don't fight OP I would do it, but perhaps check that a neighbour is home first. Our neighbours and I regularly call to check if someone will be at home for the next hour or so in case of emergency. No obligation to check in on the children but the kids, especially the younger child, know that an adult is nearby if needed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: